Purchasing and diving from a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My brother is just about to graduate from a boat repair school (engine and fiberglass). We are looking at a few boats ranging from 21-29'. We'll probably buy used and my brother and his friend will help maintain the boat. Anything to look for? I know I'll add a tank rack, an 02 canister, first aid, and a dive ladder/platform that would be good for divers.

When we go diving (remember that I am new) How many people do you leave on the boat? have you ever left the boat empty (take the key with you on the dive). Any other tips or tricks that I should be aware of? I have been boating for 15 years and driving for the last 10, but this is my first possible venture into owning my own boat.

Well, I'll give you some of the lessons we've learned from having our own boat for a couple of years.

If you buy fiberglass, you're going to spend a lot of time maintaining it. Tanks mark the stuff up, and can crack the sole. I put perforated rubber matting down on the sole, which prevents the damage but stains the fiberglass . . .

Although a good ladder is nice, we've done well with putting gear lines in the water and taking gear off there, climbing a swim ladder and then pulling the gear on board.

We have dived off an unattended boat a few times. I don't like it, and I won't do it except where there are permanent buoys. I don't know about where you are, but currents are an issue in Puget Sound, and it's possible either to have the boat go walkabout or to have divers surface where they can't get back to it.

Binoculars, waterproof VHF radios, and a spare plug are nice things to have, too. We also bought some strong suction cup devices with what amounts to D rings on them -- very handy for securing bungies to keep gear in place, if you are carrying anything unusual.

BTW, our boat is a 21 foot ex-fishing boat with a 175 hp outboard, and has turned out to be a REALLY nice boat to dive off of. We can get four tech divers and a boat driver on it and still get up on plane :)

Leaving the boat unattended, it depends on the place. We do it often but generally only in benign conditions, little or no current, no further than I can swim to shore. OK, to some that may only be a few hundred feet from shore, for me, that would be several miles and then some and considering I might be towing my wife, well, you see the issue of leaving yourself no out?

When we leave the boat unattended I check the anchor down and hook it in real good and essentially never leave sight of it.

In Florida, from your avatar, most people use center console boats, basically any seaworthy boat used for fishing can be used for diving.

When it comes to boats, more money spent up front on a quality brand, well maintained boat is money ahead vs buying some junker of questionable lineage and then being faced with dumping tons of money into it and it still not being satisfactory.

N

From experience - I would leave someone who can call & operate the boat on deck. I've had several experiences where if I didn't have someone on board the boat we would have been in dire straights.

Three experiences - One was unexpected current which carried us out to sea. We had secure anchorage, but my team didn't expect a reef current*. Second time - a swell came up and yanked the boat off the anchor/tie in and I was out in 8-10' seas for an hour. This was complete bummer. A third time involved an out of air situation which required me to give gas and surface the diver - again, in a current. We were out in who knows where land within minutes of surfacing. The water was in the 40's and staying in for hours was not an option.

At the end of the day - I always like someone on board.

* the unexpected reef current smashed a historic ship to bits on the reef. The captain and crew hadn't expected the current either.

My brother is just about to graduate from a boat repair school (engine and fiberglass). We are looking at a few boats ranging from 21-29'. We'll probably buy used and my brother and his friend will help maintain the boat. Anything to look for? I know I'll add a tank rack, an 02 canister, first aid, and a dive ladder/platform that would be good for divers.

When we go diving (remember that I am new) How many people do you leave on the boat? have you ever left the boat empty (take the key with you on the dive). Any other tips or tricks that I should be aware of? I have been boating for 15 years and driving for the last 10, but this is my first possible venture into owning my own boat.

Congrats!! I just bought my first boat last fall, an Aquasport 225, center console. It's been great, and I've made some modifications for diving.

I always leave at least one person on-board. Always. There are TOO many variables and scenarios that could truly leave you screwed, if there's no top-side support: Anchor slips and boat drifts away. Boat Thieves. You surface and the current is carrying you away from the boat. (the third being the most likely to occur, but I've had #1 happen too).

Enjoy, and let us know what you get! :cool2:

Our first boat was a 16' inflatable that we too from Oxnard to the channel islands...11 miles out..we anchored ..dove down and reset it and dove..never had a problem with a boat when we always checked the anchor..

Our next was a 25' boston whaler..set it up with tank rack so it would hold 12 tanks..We had a custom dive ladder made for it..but there was no swim step..

The boat we have now is the 28' Grady White Sailfish. It has a swim platform and transom door. iwe set it up to carry 12 tanks. We tow it to mexico each year and launch it..then live on it for about 2 months..because of space issues we only take 2 tanks and carry a dive compressor. We have a inflatable too...in tight areas we anchor the boat then take the inflatable in and dive from it...using the main boat as the mother ship...

My husband is a licensed captain... we have been diving from our own boats for a long time..the most important thing for us is if the boat is seaworthy...we really love the Grady White...it has a very comfortable cabin for the time we live aboard..we had full canvas made for the heat of Mexico...this past summer we spent over 9 days out to sea diving and fishing around the islands in the sea of cortez before we had to come ashore for fresh water..

Its ALWAYS best to leave a person on the boat for many, many reasons.

Always fly a dive flag. Especially in rivers. This is more important than most people realize. It promotes safety. I recall a local diver being hit and killed by a pleasure boater. We also have thiefs on the water.

Charging a fee: I think where I live one must have a Captains License to legally charge a fee.

A large float on the anchor line is handy. The boat can be easily attached and detached. Divers don't always make it back to the boat need to be picked up sometimes.

We dive off a Twin Vee. The major advantage to this boat - besides being a cat and having an awesome ride - is the very low freeboard. This make sit easier to drop off and/or handle divers or other objects in the water, pick up moorings, manage the anchor, see over the side of the boat, etc. They get excellent gas mileage and are quick when not overly burdened. The one disadvantage is that with our twin 70's on the back plus our robust ladder, it tends to have a heavy butt.

I have come back to the boat only to find it 1/2 full of water and not be sunk (tied mooring too tight and the low freeboard was allowing water to swamp it over the bow). Loaded up the gear, start her up, and put her in gear... sea water quickly drained.

Being a catamaran, there is plenty of room... we have had 12-15 people on the 22 foot boat with no issues (no divers).

you can dive w/ no one onboard, just throw 2 anchors in.
Of course you have to dive smart, set the hook,dont go far from the anchor, stay up current, and you have to be observant and call that dive if the current is rippein. just conservative common sense stuff. use down lines to tie off the dive toys and booty. hide the keys on the boat.

IMHO bigger is better in a dive boat so you dont have elbows and assholes everywhere:D

I like twin motors so you always have one to bring you home.

heres pix of our dive barge , a 30 CC.

Attachments

• miscellaneous 110 copy.jpg
    miscellaneous 110 copy.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 484
It's definitely better to leave someone in the boat. It's also definitely hard to find someone willing to do that.
We don't get really strong currents so I make sure I jam my anchor good. And usually the wind is blowing towards shore so I'll be able to find the boat. :D ....if it doesn't get bashed up on the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom