purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you feel you need a purge mask? IMHO it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Work on your clearing technique and look at low volume masks...Atomic for example.

Cheers.

-J.-

My second mask was a purge and I hated it. I had just been certified and someone said must have one. I am now on my 5th mask and must agree with bravo, buy a low profile. There are many out there just find one that fits your face. My new one is an Atomic Subframe, I have only made 2 dives with it so far, but it has great downward vision and very easy to equalize and clear. My last mask was a CressiSub Matrix and after about 40 to 50 dives it started leaking. I had no problems at all till then, but I feel I got my moneys worth out of it.

I used a purge mask for a summer.. it would allow water in if you turned upside down and I'm not sure it ever "purged" anything...

low profile is good but not too low profile. I hate my Atomic Subframe in the water... I take it with me just in case 'cause it's so low profile.. I've let alot of people (10 or more) try it and they all hated it too.

I now use a TUSA Serene and rarely have to clear it at all...
http://www.tusa.com/masks_serene.shtml

I don't recall seeing a purge mask in the wild. The one guy I know with one uses it in the pool and hates it because the purge makes it hard to pinch the nose closed to equalize the ears. Can't imagine having gloves on and trying get in around the purge to pinch the nose off.

You don't need it. Just get a standard mask.

I've had 2 masks with a purge. Used them for about 5 years. Both were Ocean Master's. The purge worked just as designed. I used it frequently. I never had a single leak or issue with the purges. Never experienced mask squeeze.

I just bought a new mask and it doesn't have a purge. Clearing a mask is easy so that's no concern but I am hopeing I don't miss the purge.

The only reason I won't have a purge in the new mask is I'm trying an Atomic and they don't offer it.

OK. I'll be the minority here. I love my purge mask. I have worn it for over 130 ocean dives. It is an Oceanmaster. The padded strap is easily adjusted and doesn't catch in my hair. I have never had any problems with leaking- even when I invert to peek under crevaces etc. I wouldn't want to dive with anything else!!

It all depends on the person i think you just have to buy and try, but it does give the mask a point of failure

The darned stem of the mushroom valve always poked me in the nose. Drove me nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom