purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coevan:
What are your opinions on purge masks? Any models you would like to recommend?
I'll straddle the line a bit. Started with an OceanMaster V3 Purge as a newbie. (As someone once said in another thread, 'Aquarium on the grill means a new card in the pocket.') Really liked it. Even bought a second one when some really rough handling on a dive boat cracked the frame on the first one. LOVE the OM straps, as one poster mentioned. Big mask was fine (although I didn't try scootering with it so I don't know if the drag would have been a problem). Now, seems VERY HARD to get OM parts these days, and calls / emails to OM don't generate a timely response. I have gone to lower volume, simple (non-purge) SeaDive Caribbean masks and they work just fine for rec, tec, whatever. I wouldn't buy a purge for the purge feature at this point.

I loved my old Ocean Master Z2 with the purge. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could find one. I liked the purge when I was diving with two students in low vis. If I needed to hold on to both students I could purge my mask hands free. It's really a personal choice. Just like any other piece of gear someone will love it and someone else will hate it.

I love my purge mask. OK, I did learn with one and have just used them ever since. I have owned several, you just have to try them and see what fits your face well and what you like. Could I clear my mask without a purge valve? Of course. But I just find it so easy to blow that little occasional trickle out with my nose without even thinking about it. No having to change head position etc. Guess I am just used to it. I did have a couple of them that were uncomfortable but I love the 2 I have now.
I have never had a problem with any failure of the purge valves, no leaks etc.

Funny, I just got a purge mask, not because I dont like my old one, a Tusa M16 (I do) or that it leaks (it doesnt, can usually go whole dive without clearing it once) and I even have 2 of them, a black skirt (my favorite) and clear skirt (as backup) ... I love them ... you do not need a purge valve

It's because after demo'ing it at the scuba show, I bought the Hydro Optic mask and you have no choice in purge .. hope for great things from it .. It has some pretty large shoes to fill

I normally use a plain mask, but on a recent trip a strap broke so I used my dive buddy's backup mask which was a tilos with a purge. Worked great for a while until I rolled over onto my back at about 25 feet and it started to flood. True to form all I had to do was roll back over and blow out my nose to purge it, but still prefer the plain ones.

Um, I use a low volume mask...there's always problems with purge masks. My friend had one for her OW and something went ascue and the whole thing flooded. Anywho, if I were to reccomend one, it would be the Scubapro Crystal VU with purge...

I like the purge valve when free diving and spearfishing when you don't have a hand free to tilt your mask to purge. Helpful sometimes. Never had a problem with the valve on the OM V3. My primary for scuba is the Atomics sub-frame which has been fine.

the purge valve WILL fail eventually; anything that can fail will fail. why add something else that you know will fail to your gear?

I have found with a purge valve I breathe through my nose some and it fogs my mask (or that is my opinion anyway) and without it I only breathe through my nose when clearing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom