Pursuit or X-1 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never looked at the Explorer. Saw some bad reports so didn't give it much attention. I test dove a VR3 and didn't like it at all. Non-inutuitive menus, too many "confirms" needed for different operations, just way more difficult to operate than it needs to be. Plus the algorithm is very unforgiving for any minor violations and does some wierd things w/ deep stops. Compared to the Pursuit or X1, I didn't give it much thought after that. The upgrade path for the VR3 if difficult as well. I think you need to send it back to the factory to have the software upgraded or to make certain upgrades. You can do it online from home w/ the Pursuit. The X1 doesn't have a native software package so you modify it according to the software you choose.

I never looked at the Explorer. Saw some bad reports so didn't give it much attention. I test dove a VR3 and didn't like it at all. Non-inutuitive menus, too many "confirms" needed for different operations, just way more difficult to operate than it needs to be. Plus the algorithm is very unforgiving for any minor violations and does some wierd things w/ deep stops. Compared to the Pursuit or X1, I didn't give it much thought after that. The upgrade path for the VR3 if difficult as well. I think you need to send it back to the factory to have the software upgraded or to make certain upgrades. You can do it online from home w/ the Pursuit. The X1 doesn't have a native software package so you modify it according to the software you choose.

As of today you have to send the VR3 back to have the firmware (main operating software) upgraded...they are in the midst of changing so that you can do it via internet. Feature upgrades are done by purchasing it and inputting a PIN into the unit (you do not have to return the unit). I fully agree that there are better options. I like the X1...but may sit on purchasing for a year or two just to see how it performs, as it is fairly new to the market. As previous mentioned I would love to see a user servicable battery as well, but that is purely personal preference on my part.

I would think any algorithm would be unforgiving of violations. Not trying to create drama...but what is a minor violation as opposed to a non-minor violation? With a VR3 if you pass the deco stop you will get a warning and a 60 second countdown to return to the stop depth, where it will begin the stop time over again. If you go past the countdown time, it will then give you a "use tables" message which indicates you have now fully violated your deco plan and recalcs for "best solution" to the surface.

The "weirdness" regarding deep stops is the difference between algorithms...I have used the VPM model from V-Planner and have also used the Buhlmann that is standard on the VR3 and have never had an incident with either. I like the VPM model better for a number of reasons, including the fact that it is a bit "smoother" profile than the Buhlmann, which gives you a couple of deep stops....shorter mid-range stops...and then much longer stops at shallow depths, not to mention I find V Planner a great program.

As of today you have to send the VR3 back to have the firmware (main operating software) upgraded...they are in the midst of changing so that you can do it via internet. Feature upgrades are done by purchasing it and inputting a PIN into the unit (you do not have to return the unit). I fully agree that there are better options. I like the X1...but may sit on purchasing for a year or two just to see how it performs, as it is fairly new to the market. As previous mentioned I would love to see a user servicable battery as well, but that is purely personal preference on my part.

I would think any algorithm would be unforgiving of violations. Not trying to create drama...but what is a minor violation as opposed to a non-minor violation? With a VR3 if you pass the deco stop you will get a warning and a 60 second countdown to return to the stop depth, where it will begin the stop time over again. If you go past the countdown time, it will then give you a "use tables" message which indicates you have now fully violated your deco plan and recalcs for "best solution" to the surface.

The "weirdness" regarding deep stops is the difference between algorithms...I have used the VPM model from V-Planner and have also used the Buhlmann that is standard on the VR3 and have never had an incident with either. I like the VPM model better for a number of reasons, including the fact that it is a bit "smoother" profile than the Buhlmann, which gives you a couple of deep stops....shorter mid-range stops...and then much longer stops at shallow depths, not to mention I find V Planner a great program.

Good to know about the ability to upgrade at home. I guess I should have said penalties vs. violations. The Buhlmann implementation on the VR3 isn't standard, it has some Delta P twists to it, namely the deep stops. There's not software to use that will mirror the stops that the VR3 will produce. If you run your tables you will likely have to blow off the deep stops generated by the computer, which will result in penalties. So you are sort of stuck riding the computer.

The X1 can monitor 1-3 O2 cells and one CO2 channel. To do so you need the extra PO2 expansion unit which will be released to some customers in September and all customers in early October.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

I am another very satisified X-1 owner. I have found the unit very intuitive, and the performance has been excellent. V-planner is widely used and certainly proven. Easy to program, easy to use. I have used mine on both OC dives and CCR dives. I now dive with 2 X-1's. Customer service has been excellent.

I have no experience with the pursuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom