Putting bungee on the backup reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I despise the "little silicone cord necklace things," at least the Manta-branded ones. EACH time I did an S drill with one of those, my reg popped free.

I used one once. Found it bulky and stopped using it. I have no idea what they are supposed to be called.

Single zip tie and knotted underneath. My back up reg is for me, i want to make sure i know where it is. It CANNOT go anywhere if it is secured like this. I used to have it the other may so i could remove the necklace but it came out once and i couldn't find my reg. It wasn't an issue, but it was disconcerting enough for me to secure it permanently from then on.

Personal choice, i wouldn't go too crazy about it.

I did the shock cord in the zip tie thing for a while. The reg tended to shift around and end up hanging weird. I found that it stays put better with the rubberized commercial necklaces so I use that now.

As an aside the reg also pops out of those so if you are playing victim in a rescue class you don't get strangled if the student forgets to remove your backup reg before separating you from your gear.

What were you doing during an s drill that caused the reg to come out?

Bungee under zip tie here.

Lifting my necklaced reg to put in my mouth or to put it back would cause it it slip right out of the Manta silicone loop.

Real bungee, no more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Manta necklaces have a fixed size loop for the mouthpiece. It works fine with some, but not with others. If you have a small mouthpiece, you have to do something like zip-tie one corner of the loop to make it smaller, which is a bit of a PITA. In addition, the necklace loop is quite large and results in the reg hanging low enough to interfere with a dry suit inflator valve, if it's in the center of the chest.

I'm in the zip tie camp - mostly because I like to have the bungee come off below the mouth piece. In cold water it's easy to get a mouth full of bungee if it comes off the sides of the mouth piece. With zip ties I can put both ends of the bungee on the bottom side of the mouth piece spaced about half an inch apart. This allows for easy reg switch without eating any bungee.

Hunter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom