Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I was testing the suit again, this time lake diving today here in Coeur d'Alene, with 44f at surface down to 42f at 57ft. Wore the SeaSkin 150 thermals plus base, should have tried the 250 thermals. With only 16lbs of weight (w/steel 15L tank and DR Transpac wing), but wished for 2lb more weight to allow for more air in the suit to stay a bit warmer, but otherwise the 16lb was just enough to dive in the kit worn. This was a fresh water dive (a lake, so obviously... :) and so maybe add 4-6lb if/when ocean diving. Calling it fresh water is something of a stretch as the viz was only to the end of my arm a few times and dark at 50+ ft.

I'll be hitting the lake again a couple more times in the next week for practice sessions. Snagged a spot at God's Pocket for May 4-10 diving there. Based on their skills requirements, it seems maybe tricky conditions. Need to dial in my game asap.

Oh, reason for this post, LOL, I lost the plastic crotch strap clip while undressing at the end of dive... somehow it fell off the wet strap while dangling, etc. Had to drive all the way back to the parking lot to retrieve it laying there. Lucky. The 40mm suspenders also had 1 strap slide out of the plastic clip. Going to sew the ends over to create a knob on the end of all the straps on this suit.

Plastic tri-glides off eBay will sort the clip issues. I posted a while back in this thread about them.

Had another wet dive in my Nova yesterday - somewhere around the waist. May have been the zip but it was definitely locked into the docking end properly.
I’ll send it back to Seakin for pressure test, bigger pockets and Kubi DGS when my new Otter Atlantic arrives.
I’ll transfer the Waterproof neoprene neck seal over to the Otter and keep the Seaskin as backup. I would think MTM suits wouldn’t have great resale value.

Attachments

• IMG_3433.jpeg
    IMG_3433.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 16
I just used @SeaIRL 's idea of sewing them this morning. I folded them over and sewed the ends doubled up so they won't pass back through the fastex buckles on the suspender ends and the crotch strap for the telescopic waist. Had no problem sewing the suspenders over with a normal household sewing machine and a walking foot, but I just kept jamming on the crotch buckle strap. Ended up having to sew that one by hand. One less thing to have to futz with.

I just used @SeaIRL 's idea of sewing them this morning. I folded them over and sewed the ends doubled up so they won't pass back through the fastex buckles on the suspender ends and the crotch strap for the telescopic waist. Had no problem sewing the suspenders over with a normal household sewing machine and a walking foot, but I just kept jamming on the crotch buckle strap. Ended up having to sew that one by hand. One less thing to have to futz with.
For the suspenders slipping issue, I followed Deezer's tri-glide suggestion to keep them set where I want them. That fix alone should be enough to not need sewing the ends over. For crotch strap, since it needs length adjustment often, sewing the end is probably best to prevent losing the plastic clip as I did.

For the suspenders slipping issue, I followed Deezer's tri-glide suggestion to keep them set where I want them. That fix alone should be enough to not need sewing the ends over. For crotch strap, since it needs length adjustment often, sewing the end is probably best to prevent losing the plastic clip as I did.
I just put a 1" triglide at the end of the crotch so I didn't have to sew it and the triglide will stop the buckle easy enough.

Success, I think. OMG, the glue stink from this suit was the worst. I was hoping the talc and rinsing the outer multiple times would reduce the noxious odor, but no, it's obviously the inner seams emitting the stench. 3 dives later I finally broke down and washed the thing fully submerged in wetsuit/drysuit soap. Killed maybe 80% of the smell. It was so bad we couldn't keep the suit in the house. Never had a new suit stink so bad OOTB, and after multiple dives and after hanging to air out for weeks. TOXIC! Just sayin, Gear Aid suit wash is now my BFF :p

Success, I think. OMG, the glue stink from this suit was the worst. I was hoping the talc and rinsing the outer multiple times would reduce the noxious odor, but no, it's obviously the inner seams emitting the stench. 3 dives later I finally broke down and washed the thing fully submerged in wetsuit/drysuit soap. Killed maybe 80% of the smell. It was so bad we couldn't keep the suit in the house. Never had a new suit stink so bad OOTB, and after multiple dives and after hanging to air out for weeks. TOXIC! Just sayin, Gear Aid suit wash is now my BFF :p
Gosh I kind of like the new suit smell:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom