Putting my toe in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I first posted this in Introductions:

"I am currently a snorkeler, trying to decide whether to get involved with diving. Adding a new hobby to an already full life requires careful consideration, especially if said hobby requires a sizable initial financial outlay. The main reason I would even consider diving is my interest in marine biology; if I went this route, I would ultimately pursue certification as a scientific diver. In the meantime, I have had some sublime snorkeling experiences -- especially Pohnpei -- without all the elaborate training and equipment that diving requires. I have to admit I do like that minimalist approach."

I would like thoughts from others who came from the snorkeling world, not what pushed you toward diving (I think I already know the answer to that), but whether you ever miss the simplicity of snorkeling, i.e. just you and the ocean, without all the complexities of air tanks, dive computers, and sundry paraphernalia.

I snorkeled, and I had some very sublime experiences, what you don't realize as a snorkeler is that the gear that makes it possible to go down, and stay there for 30-90 minutes depending on your SAC and deco is amazing. There is so much you are missing if you think that free diving can provide you the same view.

An example is the area in and outside the Grotto in Saipan, none of that is accessible to a snorkeler, and the bat cave has wildlife you'll never see at depths any snorkeler can reach and stay long enough to enjoy.

Get your certification, you'll find out the equipment is a small bit of trouble for what you get back.

---------- Post added November 18th, 2014 at 01:23 PM ----------

As far as the initial financial outlay. I would do that completely different than I did then.

You can bring your initial outlay down to well under $1000.

I'm not going to argue that you can manage the cost of your equipment. But that said, I find it hilarious in a day and age where people will pay $500 for a smartphone, or $600 for a tablet without hardly a second thought, these items are tools to many (and me) but they are quickly obsolete, in no more than 3-5 years.

At the same time, a new diver might balk at purchasing equipment that could run $1000-$2000 in the manageable range, but provide access for years to the underwater environment. (granted, with regular upkeep and maintenance). I wouldn't tell someone who is going to dive 3-4 days a year to get their own gear, but someone who is looking at being a marine scientist of some kind, it's a great investment over renting.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WeRtheOcean

I first posted this in Introductions:

"I am currently a snorkeler, trying to decide whether to get involved with diving. Adding a new hobby to an already full life requires careful consideration, especially if said hobby requires a sizable initial financial outlay. The main reason I would even consider diving is my interest in marine biology; if I went this route, I would ultimately pursue certification as a scientific diver. In the meantime, I have had some sublime snorkeling experiences -- especially Pohnpei -- without all the elaborate training and equipment that diving requires. I have to admit I do like that minimalist approach."

I would like thoughts from others who came from the snorkeling world, not what pushed you toward diving (I think I already know the answer to that), but whether you ever miss the simplicity of snorkeling, i.e. just you and the ocean, without all the complexities of air tanks, dive computers, and sundry paraphernalia.
Snorkeling is like your high school courses and scuba diving is already you in college. Transitioning from a snorkeler to a scuba diver is something that you will never regret. In all honesty, they are two completely different experiences worth living. As a snorkeler you only get to see the top layer of things and enjoy the surface of our water bodies. Snorkeling is like for a dermatologist, they only deal with the outer skin layer, what you first see.

On the other hand, scuba diving is like you're the surgeon, you get to see the insides. As a scuba diver you will get to see and experience things that will leave you mesmerized underwater. It'll leave you thinking, maybe this is what I was born to do? If you think you have seen enough as a snorkeler, then you are in for an interesting little surprise as a scuba diver. Much Luck!

You might think about some free-diving training to extend your time underwater and water skills as you amass the money to take up SCUBA. If you enjoy the water, you will find a way to make it happen just like any sport or hobby. Set your goals and start working, it does take time and $, but I've found the more time can cut down the $ you spend. I've never been wealthy, but I've been SCUBA diving most of my life.

Since your profile page is short, depending on the area you live in, and age, you might check your local college for a club and diving classes. Check out the local dive shop and find out if they need "free" help and see whats going on and meet people. Talk to anyone you know about diving, the conversation may turn to " I have this old dive gear, do you want it". Sometimes the gear is good.

Good Luck

Bob
-------------------------------------------------
All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom