PVC Light Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to find some plans and pics of a PVC light head for a canister light. I know about the Mag version, but wanted to try and make one out of PVC because I wanted to put the switch on the head. I know the mag is rounded and it would be hard to get the switch boot to seal.

Thanks,
Murph

I think the issue you will run into is that the light sources that people put into head units run very hot and need a metal head to act as a heat sink. With a PVC head, the heat will build up and your LED / HID bulb will eat itself in short order.

I'm trying to find some plans and pics of a PVC light head for a canister light. I know about the Mag version, but wanted to try and make one out of PVC because I wanted to put the switch on the head. I know the mag is rounded and it would be hard to get the switch boot to seal.

My advise is to buy flooded , used , with defected accumulators ,.......SMALL DIVING LAMP which is METALL (best choice 2'' diameter ).

Maglite is ok but IMO front glas is too thick and don't have enough space for front glass and after all they are expensive - that's why buy used small diving lamp ; you 'll economize money and at last you'll much bigger chance to dive with it :) !

That lamp has allready solved problems with waterproofing , O-rings...... , front glass and most important - LOW WEIGHT. DIY housing need corrosion protection (costs) , and normally they are little bulky.

METALL lamp offers a lot of advantages over PVC. Housing stability , heat managment (halogen , LED or even HID kit from Brightstarr ) , small robust size . PVC is also not normal plastics enginereed that can take pressure at thick walls.
(PVC tube for water for example in the earth is designed that water pressure is equalized with counterpressure of soil above it so forces are equal 0 !

PVC is OK for canister but not for lamphead.If wanted plastics than use tehnical reinforced plastics with glass fibres. Plastic has big defectiveness because of heat insulation which normaly causes if not calculated new lamphead with double costs!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

lamps like above my posts maybe exists let's say season maybe two max , than finish in garbage . These connectors (Lumberg) are made for industrial avtomotive sensors ( IR, capacitive, inductive, optocouplers )- normal current through them it is about 700mA . Typical halogen IRC with 50W has 4,16A !!!! so almost 6 times bigger current ! :-(.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom