Quad-Manifolds. Doable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't over think it.

Just go dive and get better at handling the available equipment as opposed to re-inventing the wheel. You may be pleasantly surprised to know I've taught several 10 year olds to dive using AL63 and they had no problems whatsoever.

Look into sidemount diving and it might be the way you would go, your going to dive wrecks in the great lakes anyways. my wife was 5' and dove al 80 steel 102 and I even enjoy the 63 and 50's.

faber has a short steel 80 it is 3000 psi and has the leisure of less weight on belt, plus when filled to 3500 there is more gas supply in a very small tank.

redsearig.JPG

35akoc5.jpg

stroke_20.jpg

leigh-e.jpg

Image2.gif

Image3-1.gif

Wow.

Why not just try a steel 72 if the steel 80 is to big?

Heck I'll give you one if you promise to delete that horrid spare air monstrosity :D

Deal XD.

@MaxBottom. Wow that's a pretty crazy dive.

In retrospect now given these replies, they have me thinking that most of the suggestions should suffice after all. I was in part thinking this way since it appeared that the only suggested standard for diving would be using steel or aluminum 80s.

I'm not saying that size matters alone (as air capacity is important) but what's the smallest tank most people dive with safely? 63s?

The 40s looked nice but it was not recommended for diving with them when I asked.

I'm not saying that size matters alone (as air capacity is important) but what's the smallest tank most people dive with safely? 63s?

The 40s looked nice but it was not recommended for diving with them when I asked.

Depends on your depth. Good rule of thumb is to not dive deeper than the cu.ft rating of your tank. So no deeper than 50ft on an Al 50, no deeper than 63ft on an Al 63 etc etc.

I have broken this rule before many times, but usually I calculate a gas plan below 60ft. If not then I pull rule of thirds, which has led to some short 20min dives.

The smallest back gas tank I have ever seen people using are Al 50's. Any smaller and the tank usually doesn't fit in the tank straps.

To quote the bard: "There are more things in heaven and earth, than can be dreamed of in your philosophy Horatio".

This is the UDS-1 system (1975) - 3 35cuft tanks with an integrated first stage in the manifold and j valved 10cuft reserve:
robosock171.jpg
robosock165.jpg

Do a search for the 1970's era ABS system - 3 30cuft tanks with one outlet:
Picture2006-4.jpg

Cousteau and others had several triple and Quadruple set ups:
Picture2007-4.jpg
Picture2008-3.jpg
Picture2014.jpg
Here I am testing my twin Al40 setup with a single outlet USD center post manifold. Eventually they will cradle an independent 19cuft tank between them as a reserve and all will be housed in a clamshell:
IMG_8392.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom