Skipping open circuit and going straight to CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

takez0

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.

I and a few others I know have done exactly that.
Nothing wrong with it if you have the aptitude. Every skill you would learn in an oc tech course you learn in a ccr tech course.
The main drawback is that the learning curve is much steeper.

What is your motivation for CCR? What are your intended CCR dives? If you've gotten this far, what is your intended CCR?

Here's a thought without knowledge of where you're diving.
+Used 40lb wing
+Plate + Harness
+Pair of AL80s with Manifold plugs
Fundies / Intro to Tech / Whatever else
+1-2 AL40 or AL80 for 50% / 100%
Tec1 or Helitrox / whatever else
Experience
+CCR
-Sell used 40lb wing for whatever you paid for it
-Sell bands and manifold

Left with: experience, a pair of 80s as SM bailout (whether 18/45 50% in open water, same gas in cave), a pair of AL40s as deco bottles.

When the CCR shits the bed, I am glad for my training in things like stage management, gas identification protocol, bottle rotations, etc. One can learn these things in something like stage cave and not necessarily go through the "normoxic / hypoxic gas cost" on open circuit, but I think jumping straight to CCR is...improper. Has it been done? Yes. One of my primary dive partners did what you are suggesting. Should this be done? Eh. There are numerous threads on the topic, linked below:

Etc.

As a sidenote, most agencies have some version of advanced nitrox or stage decompression as a prerequisite, and most of what I consider to be the top tier of CCR instructors have it as their own requirement.

I would at least find a sidemount instructor and do a tutoring type thing with sidemount as that will help with some of the bailout stuff.

I'm new to tech and ccr but did find some of the tech skills to be useful in my ccr class, stuff like feathering, verify depth and such. Also you need to know your sac to plan bailout and how to calculate deco on OC.

I would at least find a sidemount instructor and do a tutoring type thing with sidemount as that will help with some of the bailout stuff.

I'm new to tech and ccr but did find some of the tech skills to be useful in my ccr class, stuff like feathering, verify depth and such. Also you need to know your sac to plan bailout and how to calculate deco on OC.
All of that was covered in my ccr classes as well.

Going through an an/dp level class first is a decent idea if you're not 100% set on a ccr. The only gear that doesn't transfer would be the bands/manifold for bm.

What is your motivation for CCR? What are your intended CCR dives? If you've gotten this far, what is your intended CCR?

Here's a thought without knowledge of where you're diving.
+Used 40lb wing
+Plate + Harness
+Pair of AL80s with Manifold plugs
Fundies / Intro to Tech / Whatever else
+1-2 AL40 or AL80 for 50% / 100%
Tec1 or Helitrox / whatever else
Experience
+CCR
-Sell used 40lb wing for whatever you paid for it
-Sell bands and manifold

Left with: experience, a pair of 80s as SM bailout (whether 18/45 50% in open water, same gas in cave), a pair of AL40s as deco bottles.

When the CCR shits the bed, I am glad for my training in things like stage management, gas identification protocol, bottle rotations, etc. One can learn these things in something like stage cave and not necessarily go through the "normoxic / hypoxic gas cost" on open circuit, but I think jumping straight to CCR is...improper. Has it been done? Yes. One of my primary dive partners did what you are suggesting. Should this be done? Eh. There are numerous threads on the topic, linked below:

Etc.

As a sidenote, most agencies have some version of advanced nitrox or stage decompression as a prerequisite, and most of what I consider to be the top tier of CCR instructors have it as their own requirement.
I like this plan. I have a plate and harness and I own 4 AL80s. I do plan to take the "fundies" on OC...ADV Nitrox/DP/IntroTech/ExRange and Sidemount. That's just because I won't be in the rebreather until March. Now that I think about it I'll have to be some of that stuff anyway of I can't rent it. I'll look at a used 40lb wing. Great feedback, thanks!!!

I like this plan. I have a plate and harness and I own 4 AL80s. I do plan to take the "fundies" on OC...ADV Nitrox/DP/IntroTech/ExRange and Sidemount. That's just because I won't be in the rebreather until March. Now that I think about it I'll have to be some of that stuff anyway of I can't rent it. I'll look at a used 40lb wing. Great feedback, thanks!!!
I also forgot to answer your first questions...
I want to go deeper, farther, longer. Not being a tec diver I like the Dive Rite Choptima. Seems like it provides a lot of flexibility in configuration. Would like your thoughts on that. I also just moved to North Carolina and haven't spoken to my LDS yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom