Skipping open circuit and going straight to CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
T

takez0

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.

I like this plan. I have a plate and harness and I own 4 AL80s. I do plan to take the "fundies" on OC...ADV Nitrox/DP/IntroTech/ExRange and Sidemount. That's just because I won't be in the rebreather until March. Now that I think about it I'll have to be some of that stuff anyway of I can't rent it. I'll look at a used 40lb wing. Great feedback, thanks!!!
to toot my own thread, see: For Sale - Light Monkey 45# Doubles Wing :wink:

I want to go deeper, farther, longer. Not being a tec diver I like the Dive Rite Choptima. Seems like it provides a lot of flexibility in configuration.

I'm a little confused. Are you planning to dive BM doubles or SM for your bailout? You say you don't want to purchase a new wing/manifold/bands but you also want to go "deeper, farther, longer" which to me means you will need more than a single 80 in a recreational configuration. Which is it? Or are you planning to dive SM with the 80s with the Choptima?

I'm a little confused. Are you planning to dive BM doubles or SM for your bailout? You say you don't want to purchase a new wing/manifold/bands but you also want to go "deeper, farther, longer" which to me means you will need more than a single 80 in a recreational configuration. Which is it? Or are you planning to dive SM with the 80s with the Choptima?
Planning to dive SM with the 80s with the Choptima.

If you're primarily ocean diving, I would go the BM doubles route with 80s. Much easier IMO for boat diving. I was personally not a fan of the Choptima with SM bailout but I also know people doing big dives with it in SM config so take my opinion with a grain of salt (but they are cave diving, not ocean diving).

If you're primarily ocean diving, I would go the BM doubles route with 80s. Much easier IMO for boat diving. I was personally not a fan of the Choptima with SM bailout but I also know people doing big dives with it in SM config so take my opinion with a grain of salt (but they are cave diving, not ocean diving).
Solid advice, I'm grateful for it. Just based on what everyone said (including you), I'll get the bands, manifolds, etc. I'll talk to my LDS and start putting together a punchlist. MANY THANKS TO ALL ON THE THREAD, rock solid feedback for the CCR wannabe newb!!!

You can go from OC to CCR without tech OC background as long as you’re willing to work a bit extra. Most instructors will work at your pace and offer you additional assistance. All you have to do is be honest about your skills, ask for help, and prepare to pay more.

CCR courses will require advanced nitrox cert. Good CCR instructors will cover:

- CCR specific skills; including but not limited to the following
- Proper gas management
- Bottle rotation
- Emergency procedures
- Bailout planning
- Much more

These skills will come up as a part of the general CCR procedures. For example, if you need to switch from closed circuit to semi-closed, you must follow a proper gas switch protocol. If you someone on your team needs a bailout cylinder, you will have to go through a proper team bailout process. These are just some examples.

Here is the issue though - you may not cover everything in one CCR course. Therefore, your instructor choice will drive a lot what you will or will not learn. For example, I’ve heard that not every instructor teaches switching to semi-closed during the first course. You may also consider multiple CCR courses and additional training to complement your learning.

Another gotcha - you must practice all the skills regularly to get muscle memory.

The good news is that you’re in NC. We have quite a community here with several quarries, ocean diving (that seems to get blown out more often than not), and we are only 7 hours away from High Springs, Florida. You can find some of the best CCR instructors there.

If you want to know more about NC, clubs, etc., please DM me.

Cheers~

P.S. What is your LDS? Unfortunately, there is a lot of hit-and-miss here. If you're close to South Carolina border, ping @stuartv. There is a very good LDS in Lexington, SC, that would be my choice for serious tech training, including CCR.

You may also consider multiple CCR courses and additional training to complement your learning

What does this mean please? Taking the same level course with different instructors/agencies for more practice?

When, not if things go south with the rebreather, OC is what will save your life.

With that in mind I think being highly proficient with OC is very valuable.

This is my first post here. I've learned a ton on this board and I'm grateful for the insights you all provide.

I'm getting into technical diving and I'd like to jump straight into a CCR. Does the group see any benefit or hindrance in skipping open circuit tech training costs and equipment costs and going straight into a CCR? CCR's are obviously an investment. I'd rather not spend money on a new BCD, manifold, tanks, etc., that would only be used specifically for dual-tank open circuit, considering I know where I want to end up already. Let me know your thoughts or if you think this is missed training opportunity.

If the motive not to buy equipment, there is always rent/lend option. You gonna need regs anyways, they can be used as BM/SM regs then they will become bailout regs. Same applies fins, lights, computers, DSMB, reels, spools, wetnotes etc.

If you start straight CCR, probably you will do a course equivalent of AOW, no deco, no helium type of dives which is not where CCR really shines.

Instead of doing recreational CCR course best idea would be utilizing same time, effort and funds to obtaining helium/deco ticket on open circuit entry level tech classes. Then move to CCR at same level afterwards.

Therefore you will get to develop solid fundamental base and learn proper protocols without paying fortune for helium. Then you can move to CCR and these information will be extremely useful for you.

I remember, about 10-15 years ago, one agency was proposing to introduce a straight CCR entry course. It only failed because no one would recognise it.

I’m surprised it still hasn’t happened. The OC bailout would be just part of the training regime. Are we so afraid of innovation we poo poo any different thinking.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom