Qualifications beyond OW?

Apart from OW, what (if any) specializations do you have?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dives I enjoy most are in the caves, so that's been where the bulk of my training has been over the last couple of years. I have a Normoxic Trimix card in case I want to do a deeper dive and I'd like to take Doppler's Advanced Wreck course when I can.

you're sort of asking the wrong crowd. try asking at your local dive site or local boat or local dive shop, and you'll likely get very different answers. here, you're asking people who are passionate about diving. very few (though of course some, and of course you don't *need* further dive education to be excellent) here will 'just' be ow unless they are quite new.

you're sort of asking the wrong crowd. try asking at your local dive site or local boat or local dive shop, and you'll likely get very different answers. here, you're asking people who are passionate about diving. very few (though of course some, and of course you don't *need* further dive education to be excellent) here will 'just' be ow unless they are quite new.

Never considered that, but I know you are correct. It also is probably true we surround ourselves with people of like interest, so those at my LDS that I am around have the same interests.

I have been diving for about 15 years, and only have OW. I am not opposed to taking other courses, but for the local quarry, OW seems to suffice. If/When I decide, or am able to dive more exotic places, AOW will possibly be something to consider...but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have OW and commercial diving certifications only. The commercial course covers most of the separate sport certifications and the rest I learned on my own. I learned diving on my own as well and only got the OW four years after I started diving as it was becoming hard to get fills without one.

Never considered that, but I know you are correct. It also is probably true we surround ourselves with people of like interest, so those at my LDS that I am around have the same interests.

While this is true, different people are in different situations and needs so I still think it's a valid poll.

While this is true, different people are in different situations and needs so I still think it's a valid poll.
Valid? Thirty non-random, self-selected people responded. What population do you think they are representative of? Polls like this are generally interesting only for the conversation they provoke. For some reason, everybody likes a poll.

Valid? Thirty non-random, self-selected people responded. What population do you think they are representative of? Polls like this are generally interesting only for the conversation they provoke. For some reason, everybody likes a poll.

This poll was for information for me and stemmed from a conversation I was having with someone and as it was only started yesterday and has an open ended date AND I would expect people from different demographics to vote and comment on it in time, I don't see your point as being valid at all:-
May I suggest if you don't think it's valid or worth your time then DON'T COMMENT or vote!

In statistics, validity is the measure of how well your test measures what it was intended to measure. To determine if a poll was valid, you would look at sampling biases, sample size, poll content, etc. It has a fairly specific meaning. No insult was intended; poll on!

There is a balance that has to be struck between training and real world diving. I meet divers who are "we'll trained" but all their diving is during their courses. Then I meet divers who dive often but could use some refinement .
You have to ask yourself what conditions will you be diving in and what training is required to keep you and your dive partners safe. If OW meets this standard then you are good however be careful not to underestimate where and how you will dive. Regularly on vacation I see OW divers doing shallow recreation dives that really are beyond their experience and ability but I degress.

Safe diving my friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom