Quarries off granite street

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikeflip22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
has anyone dove the quarries in the rockport area up off granite street?
i went to one today, the private one that you need a key for for the gate, but the guard leaves at 7pm so i took a quick dip, and it is the most amazing place. The viz was probably 60 to 80 ft, and the water was crystal clear , and it was like an underwater canyon. not many fish, little schoolies, but if you want to check that place out, its at the top of rowe street right off granite st. its 400 feet deep at its deepest spots.

however i forget the name of the place, there was a public swimming quarry just before this, that is quite small and the water was very murky. so if you happen to take a drive up, continue driving because your not at the one im talking about :O

bikeflip22:
hm no one cares haha

I am one of those that are unusually attracted to quarry diving. I once snuck in for a dive in halibut point state park. It was off season. I chose to do dive it a second dive (Great for rinsing salt off gear!) after diving off Halibut point. I know it's posted no swimming but I didn't see sign for no diving! What's worse that could happen if got caught?

I've always wondered about the quarry's in Rockport when drive by them.

Where is it exactly is one you are referring to? As heading down Granite street (south 127), make right on Rowe Ave (just after pass road to old granite pier) Drive to end and should be able to find? How early does guard show up?

I would love to dive it. Definately PM me next time you want to go and will join you.

the guards are there from 11 to 7
so if you wanted to do an early morning dive, i would be down for that.

how was the halibut point quarry??
how deep did you get? i hear that reaches 3000 feet deep

as for better directions..
if you were coming from folly cove, you would take your LAST right before the bridge called rowe ave, you drive all the way up and its right there, but theres a gate, and you need a key to unlock the gate, meaning you need to be a member, its a sharehold and is owned by 60 families across rockport, and in order to get access you need to know a member who owns it.

however at 7pm they unlock the gate and its open for guests and the gate is closed again at 11am the following day when the gaurds show up, they make routine rides around the quarry on moutain bikes, c hecking for keys to make sure you didnt sneak in. however it is very easy to sneak in, if you walk through the woods.

there are some great jumping spots to, 10 ft cliffs up to 35foot cliffs, and its amazingly fun. and the water is so fresh, its amazing because you feel like you in the carribean.

I didn't get more than 65 feet. I entered in part can get access to water by climbing down some huge bolders. probably only part can get in and out. Lots of junk down there. Old bottles..

Will let you know next time plan to get down there and will give it a try.

alright.
theres not much of anything in the one i go to, except a few bottles, branches, and a few little fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom