Quarry dives?? Just wondering. . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only other benefit is meeting other local divers. If you arnt a member of a dive club then the quarry is a great place to meet other local divers and talk local diving!

I plan on diving Dutch Springs early this year, not Jan cuase I dont want to freeze but March for sure!

Thanks, guys, you've just about convinced me!

Now, is there a quarry around here somewhere?????

:D

L2GD

I won't elaborate on all the pro-quarry reasons previously outlined -- collectively, they make a great case for why quarry diving is so popular. Convenience, cost, proximity, etc.

Our "local" quarry here is Dutch Springs -- which must rank as one of the top quarry dives in the country.

Regarding visibility, however -- you must check some of the shots in the Wreck Valley album. As you'll see, when the viz is good at Dutch, it's *really* good...

http://gallery.wreckvalley.com/Dutch_Springs

love2godeep once bubbled...
Thanks, guys, you've just about convinced me!

Now, is there a quarry around here somewhere?????

:D

L2GD

Why a quarry? You have Pend Orielle. Or are they closed now...hmm

MechDiver once bubbled...

Why a quarry? You have Pend Orielle. Or are they closed now...hmm
love2godeep,
Lake Pend Orielle is still open (I'm doing 4 dives there this weekend), as well as the lake you live close to, Rosevelt. No real quarry diving around you, but from what you said when I saw you at the LDS, seems like you are mostly a warm water, vacation diver. You SHOULD try some local diving. The local lakes have wrecks, fish (bass, trout, monster suckers, etc.) eddible crawfish for the mass taking, as well as salvage stuff. There are shallow dives, wall dives (Pend Orielle has a nice one), deep dives, and great current floats in some of the rivers (Spokane river). I'm making a night dive tonight at Lake Coeur d' Alene where they light up the whole marina with Christmas lights that turns the water a colorful glow down to 40 feet.(http://www.cdaresort.com/fantasy.asp) Great for skills, meet nice people and fun diving. I've seen 50 foot vis. in lake Coeur d' Alene while diving some cool wrecks (http://www.tomsdiving.com/nwresources.shtml).
Or, even better, leave early and be diving the wonderful Puget Sound by the afternoon!
Forget the quarry! There's so much great diving to do right outside your backdoor, you just have to do it!
Rick

cant say I love quarry diving, but if I need to work on a skill or havent been in the water in a while - its a good, cheap place to go without having to worry about currents, surface conditions etc...

heck, I see the occasional bass!

NJDiveGirl once bubbled...
cant say I love quarry diving, but if I need to work on a skill or havent been in the water in a while - its a good, cheap place to go without having to worry about currents, surface conditions etc...

heck, I see the occasional bass!

The bass we have in our quarry are bass all the time.

MechDiver once bubbled...

Not a tenor in the bunch, eh?

Only the occasional one:wacko:

PLUS if your skills are sharp in a cold, dark, no vis quarry and you can futz with all your equipment while wearing thick gloves, remember to do all the drysuit stuff, keep your mask from getting tangled up with your hood, maintain good buoyancy in the 30' range, etc. . . think how competent you'll be when you get to warm water?

Not to mention, I've developed a strange fondness for really low vis... I really need a warm water vacation.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom