Quarry diving with wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can do open water combined with drysuit. in the UK, it's the norm with most schools. Stuart, you are a new diver, there is still a lot you don't know.

True! But, I did know that. :) And I also saw that the OP already did classroom (I'm assuming they did classroom before confined water) and at least one confined water session for OW. So, the normal combined OW+Dry Suit option is out unless she/they start completely over. I think she/they would most likely have to start the dry suit course separately and do the pool for that before going to the quarry, and then get all the OW dives combined.

Actually no. At least with a comprehensive course they would not need to. The first pool session with me is all snorkeling and skin diving. Second introduces gear. Sessions three through six introduce gear with varying levels of exposure protection. My two OW students now have been in 3 mil shorties, 3 mill full suits, and 6.5 mil FJ tops. Next week before their checkouts they'll be put in full farmer johns or 7 mil suits. If I had drysuits available it would not have been a big deal to skip the heavier wet suits and put them in drysuits for the last two or three sessions. Then just do the six OW dives. Presto, OW and Dry Suit certified.

I'm not sure if a dry suit is a option. The shop we are using doesn't rent them and I don't know that any of the local shops do.

As far as the class goes I sent the instructor a email and am waiting for a response. It's been a pretty good class. Our pool dives went great other than the wife being cold.

We have looked into doing out dives on vacation. It will add about $400 and leave us with one day to dive. Before we have to think about airplanes and decompression. So that's probably out.

We would be diving at lake Norman quarry in nc. We would like to be able to dive for vacation. The instructor is going above and beyond to make this happen.

He was aware of her being miserable at the pool. Am I over thinking this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And, even if you do, I think she would have to take the Drysuit Diver course before she'd be allowed to do her Open Water qualification dives in it.

You can do open water combined with drysuit. in the UK, it's the norm with most schools. Stuart, you are a new diver, there is still a lot you don't know.

Well, technically stuartv is correct to a large extent in that the student will need to complete the academics and CW drysuit session before being able to do her OW dives in a drysuit. So, while she won't need to "complete" a DS course before OW... she will need to "take" a DS course before doing so.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2015 at 08:22 PM ----------

He was aware of her being miserable at the pool. Am I over thinking this?

No... but is sure sounds like your instructor was UNDER-thinking it.

He knew she was miserable and did nothing about it? Nice guy. How could an instructor allow a student to be "miserable" while taking their course?

Still not clear, but it sounds like you guys jammed all the pool work into one day?

Learning skills and doing drills in a pool with limited movement can get cold even in a wetsuit. As you get further along and move more it will likely get better. As for the open water, with a 7 mil hood and gloves you will get a blast of cold when you enter but often we hate to get out of the water because it is more comfortable than being in 50 degree air.

Yeah we spent the day at the pool.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2015 at 12:33 AM ----------

He was constantly talking to her and asking is she was ok. I feel like he was trying to make it work for her.

I just don't know that she is going to be warm enough in a wet suit. She wears sweaters when it's 90 degrees outside.

We have looked into doing out dives on vacation. It will add about $400 and leave us with one day to dive. Before we have to think about airplanes and decompression. So that's probably out.

I don't know how common this is, but I have been out on a dive boat where my insta-buddy was someone who was there to do their OW qualification dives. We (me, my "buddy", and the Dive Master/Instructor) got in the water for each dive, the Instructor would start the dive by having my "buddy" do the required skills, which would just take a minute or two, then we would proceed on with the dive. The dives were reef dives in calm water with pretty much no current and a max depth of 40 feet or so. It seemed to me like a pretty nice way for the student to get his OW qualification dives done.

IOW, it may be possible for you to go diving AND do your OW dives as referral dives, instead of feeling like you have to do your OW qualification dives first THEN you get to go diving.

I don't know how common this is, but I have been out on a dive boat where my insta-buddy was someone who was there to do their OW qualification dives. We (me, my "buddy", and the Dive Master/Instructor) got in the water for each dive, the Instructor would start the dive by having my "buddy" do the required skills, which would just take a minute or two, then we would proceed on with the dive. The dives were reef dives in calm water with pretty much no current and a max depth of 40 feet or so. It seemed to me like a pretty nice way for the student to get his OW qualification dives done.

IOW, it may be possible for you to go diving AND do your OW dives as referral dives, instead of feeling like you have to do your OW qualification dives first THEN you get to go diving.

I would point blank refuse. If they are doing their OW course then they are not qualified as such their use as a buddy is probably nil. You paid for those dives? I wouldn't.

I would point blank refuse.

OK - you show up at the boat with no buddy and, presumably, expect them to provide you with one. If you don't like the buddy they've provided... what do you suggest? Should you get your money back?

That said... I can't imagine allowing an inexperienced tag-along diver to accompany an OW class.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2015 at 10:07 AM ----------

I did my checkout dives as a referral in WPB. As Stuart points out, the dives were perfectly enjoyable in every way.

If you do your dives in a cold-water quarry it's often going to be a "get in, do skills, swim around in 10ft of vis looking at a schoolbus until dive is long enough to log, get out" 20min max shiver-fest.

In the PADI OW course, with the exception of reg recovery and clear there are no "skills" on Dive 1 that you would not do in the ordinary course of ANY dive. My OW dive #1 was 45min in 80F water with 75ft of vis on a reef called Gazebo. It was a great dive We probably did a few dive-flexible skills there as well. The other three dives were great as well.

Sure, it's more expensive. I hope the OP didn't get into diving to save money.

:shocked2:

I live in NC

There are several quarries. Generally Fantasy Lake runs warmer than the other quarries. It is still cold but warming up. Depending on when you are doing the OW you might pick up a few degrees water temp by going to Fantasy Lake. It is 15 minutes NE of Raleigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom