Quero is a Cave Diver!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well done Marcia! Congratulations.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon is a great guy, glad you had a good experience. I don't know of an instructor that warns students about Ginnie fingers. It's one of those hazing things. I wondered why my intro instructor, who happened to be a vegetarian, suggested hot wings for dinner the night after Ginnie. Ouch!

As for gloves, I wear fingerless gloves on every dive. They are very thin though and I can feel the line through them easily. Also, I don't mind ditching them if need be.

Her instructor may not permit it. Mine didn't. In fact, I posted a photograph of myself diving in Florida with my fingers wrapped in red electrician's tape on the Cave Divers forum, and took what I thought was an amazing amount of heat for doing it.

What was the objection? I don't see anything wrong with it, but I am not a cave diver.

you're supposed to get good enough to not need the crutch. if you have the crutch, you don't improve.

that said, i used thin reef gloves several dives after intro as i worked on improving. wore the tips off, but by then i didn't need them anymore. now i rarely use the pads under my fingers, not the tips. and a scooter.

marcia, i personally found that i pull & glide differently from a guy. my 'power' stroke is from about chest height down to hip level, not from far reach all the way through. i just don't have the upper body endurance for the full pull. just something to think about - you may not have that limitation since i guess you do so much more upper body physical stuff as a dm. it does tend to change my path in pull & glide areas, though, since i need closer handholds.

I was told by my instructor that many cave divers choose to not wear gloves because if things go wrong, you want to be able to "OK" the line and feel it. Depending on the glove, it's easy for the line to split out of your "OK" without you noticing it. Barehanded, you'd definitely feel it. He also recommended we not wear gloves so that we could practice reel/line work with our bare hands...and then once were more comfortable, we could put gloves on and the extra experience would help compensate for the loss of dexterity. I understand and like that reasoning, but I don't think the instructor would've "forbidden" it.

Heh---Just take the gloves off if you need to feel the line.

If I had a problem with the cold in the FL Springs, that's what I'd do. However, in a class that is already so stressful and you already have SO much going on....adding that task loading is a pain I wouldn't want to deal with. As an instructor that has a little experience with teaching cave diving, I'm sure you've seen your fair share of students that have been under stress because of the class. I know I was. Especially for that class, I wouldn't want ANY extra task loading.

The point was that wearing gloves would allow me to continue to use the flawed technique I was using to pull; not wearing gloves wore holes in my fingers, which I think was supposed to teach me something. It hasn't, apparently, because every darned time I pull my way into Ginnie, I end up with raw fingertips :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom