Question about airline weight restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrotheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Southeast of Disorder...and San Marcos, Texas
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are booked through Funjet out of Houston on Transmeridian. Called today to get baggage limits. 2 checked bags pp with a combined weight of 44lbs pp. Pressed the person on the other end of the line stating that probably 90% of the people on the flight are going to be divers and there is no way everyones luggage would weigh 44lbs. The not so friendly person said that they would charge 50.00 per pound over.

Ok that is the same answer we got last year but we flew out of Austin on Ryan Air no problemo our bags weighed around 80lbs combined we checked 3 bags. No one said nada just smiled and took our luggage. Same thing coming back.

My TA told me last year it is policy, but it is for people who are trying to move in or out of the country and haul everything they own in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and not to worry.

My question is has anyone flown funjet out of Houston recently and was there any weight problems?
Thanks

Well that better not be true, we will be leaving from Houston on Monday. We are also flying with funjet. We were told by the travel agent that it was 2 bags pp and each bag was limited to 40lbs. I have no idea how much my bag weighs but Ill bet I cant meet the 2 bags = 44lbs. So I am hoping he was wrong.

parrotheaddiver:
We are booked through Funjet out of Houston on Transmeridian. Called today to get baggage limits. 2 checked bags pp with a combined weight of 44lbs pp. Pressed the person on the other end of the line stating that probably 90% of the people on the flight are going to be divers and there is no way everyones luggage would weigh 44lbs. The not so friendly person said that they would charge 50.00 per pound over.

Ok that is the same answer we got last year but we flew out of Austin on Ryan Air no problemo our bags weighed around 80lbs combined we checked 3 bags. No one said nada just smiled and took our luggage. Same thing coming back.

My TA told me last year it is policy, but it is for people who are trying to move in or out of the country and haul everything they own in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and not to worry.

My question is has anyone flown funjet out of Houston recently and was there any weight problems?
Thanks

Two checked bags with a combined weight of 44lbs is kind of ridiculous. Ive spent a lot of time in MX. I lived there for about 10 months and I had huge suitcases that were closer to 50lbs each. You may want to check with the airline again. Nevermind heres the link to the website.

http://www.transmeridian-airlines.com/Page.asp?ID=38

You should be better off than a max of 44 lbs.

Now you've got me worried. I just booked our trip to Coz leaving from Milwaukee. I looked it up and it does look like 44 lbs. combined checked baggage pp. Seems like when I went with Apple vacations, it was two bags with a 50 lb limit per bag, not per person. I'll call our agent on Monday, but it looks like another exercise in packing lightly and stuffing the carry on.

United Weight Limits

Above is a link to the United site, which is what I'm flying on monday. It says for International travel & Mexico you are allowed up to 70 lbs. Caribbean is 50 lbs.

May not be true of your carrier though.

With our gear, cameras & goodies for Christi we'll be pushing that limit! :eyebrow:

I had a plan B last year if they gave me any problem. I had decided to wear my gear on the plane it doesn't say anything about your personal weight or the weight of your carryon. Regs are heavy and they can go as carryon.

If I have to I will do it. :wink: Like I said last year on funjet, no problemo and a I was carrying a BC and some other personal items for Christi and they did not even look at the weight.

Maybe some one will give us a report.

I have also heard of similiar weight restrictions on airlines of late. I think they are just to keep people from giong way overboard and I would hope that you all would not run into problems.

My biggest concern would be flying with an airline named Funjet and how much weight the plane can lift and keep in the air from one runway to the next. :crafty:

WVDiver:
My biggest concern would be flying with an airline named Funjet and how much weight the plane can lift and keep in the air from one runway to the next. :crafty:

Funjet is the name of the company/agency. The planes I have been on Ryan air and Transmeridian were both air buses. They were really pretty nice. I assume the company 'Funjet' charters these planes during certain times of the year for these flights to Coz, Cancun, Vegas etc.

parrotheaddiver:
Funjet is the name of the company/agency. The planes I have been on Ryan air and Transmeridian were both air buses. They were really pretty nice. I assume the company 'Funjet' charters these planes during certain times of the year for these flights to Coz, Cancun, Vegas etc.

I get lucky here in Chicago, Funjet charters seats on United - sweet!

Thats how charters make extra cash by luring you into their kingdom...Continental allows 2 checked baggage from Houston with a 70 lb limit per each bag...Its a dog eat dog world , I must say so. So these charters have to get extra cash to offer the cheap rates that the public wants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom