Question about airline weight restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

two words: Sky Cap. Most airports don't have the scales outside, and if you have a nice looking tip already out for them, sky caps seem to be happy to pretty much allow anything.

You should see my bag, it's huge. I have had no problems yet (knock on wood). I fear that they will catch on one of these days...

In a related story...

I ran afoul of this rule going to Cozumel on Continental in May. They weighed my bags, saying that 50 lbs/bag was the limit; one of them was 58 lbs. They said it would be an extra hundred bucks to take it. They also said that if I wanted to redistribute some stuff, this other bag of mine only weighed 35 lbs...

So there I am at the ticket counter in the airport with my very carefully packed stuff all strewn around on the floor, repacking, holding up other folks trying to check in for the flight. We were really early for the flight, so THAT, anyway was not a prob, but tell me, what sense does all this make? Both bags went, same as they would have anyway, with the same total weight. Would that extra $100 have gone into some sort of insurance pool for back injuries to baggage handlers injured by dealing with 60 lb bags? I doubt it.

Bureaucrats...

That dosent seem right...50 lbs...To Coz thats nothing. Sorry to hear that. I took their policy off the web and it dosent reflect that:

International Travel (except Canada)

International allowances, rates and excess baggage policies vary by destination and time of the year (peak and off peak seasonal travel). Please contact Continental Airlines Reservations at 1-800-525-0280 to obtain specific rates based on destination and time of travel.

Free Baggage Acceptance*
2 Checked Bags: Maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height) per piece
2 Boxes instead of two free checked bags: Maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height) per piece

Folks,

I work for one of the six major air carriers with offices based in Houston, Texas. (required verbiage)

The weight, and size restrictions to Cozumel have been stable for a while. (Note: Restrictions may be changed at any time without prior notice.) They are, however, as posted above at the moment.

Sometimes, with all of the hiring and personnel changes which go on all the time, the folks you meet at the desk when you check in may not be truly aware of the exact limits and how to apply them, based on your destination.

It is best to check the company's website a few days before departure, to make sure that things have not changed. PRINT a copy to take with you. MEASURE, and WEIGH your bags carefully. If there is any question, call the 800 number before travelling.

If there is any question on the day of travel, please ask politely for a Supervisor. Show that person your copy of the current policy, tell him or her that you have weighed and measured the bags, and that they fit within the restrictions as you understand them. That should (hopefully) negate any misunderstandings.

Happy travelling!

ggunn:
Would that extra $100 have gone into some sort of insurance pool for back injuries to baggage handlers injured by dealing with 60 lb bags? I doubt it.

Bureaucrats...

Exactly --- It insures that you won't do that again!!!

Ryan has had the 44 lb limit for at least a couple years. I have never heard of it being enforced. We usually travel with a 40+ bagand a 20+ bag each.

BigJetDriver69:
It is best to check the company's website a few days before departure, to make sure that things have not changed. PRINT a copy to take with you. MEASURE, and WEIGH your bags carefully. If there is any question, call the 800 number before travelling.

If there is any question on the day of travel, please ask politely for a Supervisor. Show that person your copy of the current policy, tell him or her that you have weighed and measured the bags, and that they fit within the restrictions as you understand them. That should (hopefully) negate any misunderstandings.

Happy travelling!

This is sound advice, but I'd add to it that I recommend you print off the policy at the time of purchase of your ticket. It has been my experience over the last several years with the changes in weight policies (both with my own travel and my clients') that even though the policy may have changed, the airlines have honored (grandfathered) the previous policy if you purchased your tickets prior to the change. But, having the original policy can help in that situation.

Do check again before you depart so you won't be caught surprised by the change, but a pleasant attitude and back-up should result in you receiving a good outcome.

ggunn:
In a related story...

I ran afoul of this rule going to Cozumel on Continental in May. They weighed my bags, saying that 50 lbs/bag was the limit; one of them was 58 lbs. They said it would be an extra hundred bucks to take it. They also said that if I wanted to redistribute some stuff, this other bag of mine only weighed 35 lbs...

So there I am at the ticket counter in the airport with my very carefully packed stuff all strewn around on the floor, repacking, holding up other folks trying to check in for the flight. We were really early for the flight, so THAT, anyway was not a prob, but tell me, what sense does all this make? Both bags went, same as they would have anyway, with the same total weight. Would that extra $100 have gone into some sort of insurance pool for back injuries to baggage handlers injured by dealing with 60 lb bags? I doubt it.

Bureaucrats...

I agree with you, but I've been told that its not total weight they are worried about here, but that it has to do with the unions. I was told that Unions are responsible for the restrictions for the sake of the baggage handlers. Knowing that there would be major problems if they simply banned bags overweight, they charge, I would imagine that at least a portion of the overweight fee goes back to the unions.

We use miles so we almost always use Continental to Mexico and it's 2 bags per person with max weight of 70lbs per bag. Mexico is International. ggunn, if a counter tkt agent told you 50, they are in need of a geography lesson. I never take the charters because their weight restrictions are ridiculous for divers, and the savings isn't worth the cramped quarters.

I've flown charters for years,

They always say 44-45 lbs. PER BAG, 2 bag max,in practice they allow up to 50 lb/bag max due to scale calibration descrepencies ect..

Sometimes I'm a little over 50 lbs,they typically charge $20 each way to Mex. and ask if you will pay the RT $40,first I start digging in the bag pulling out gear and stuffing it in my carry on backpack,as I stall the line they usually let me go with 50-52lbs without a charge.If the weight is definetely OVER say 55+ lbs I only pay ONE WAY ($20),they rarely enforce weight on the Mex return flight.

It's a game ,good luck

Back
Top Bottom