Question About Ankle Weights - from a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was the suggestion to wear ankle weights the total problem solving effort?

Where is the rest of your weight? If it's integrated in your BC get it down on a belt. Picture your body as a see saw which you need to balance. you can center the load or add weight to one end. I hope the instructor had you remove the corresponding amount of weight from what had already been determined.

Unless you are of a "buoyant build" below the belt line the ankle weights are probably the wrong solution to an ill perceived problem. If you are somewhat "buoyant" in the lower body the use may well be warranted.

Don't over think the design of the ankle weights, limit your investment.

Pete

it seems that everyone replying says that it is a purchase that is soon not needed...

advice best heeded..

Was the suggestion to wear ankle weights the total problem solving effort?

And you can double your displeasure by using your drysuit for buoyancy, instead of your BC. With all that un-needed gas rolling around in your drysuit, if the see-saw goes feet up, too much gas ends up in your feet. Then some people try to solve this problem by adding weight to their feet instead of reducing the unstable gas in their drysuit and fixing their technique.

Just putting enough gas in your suit to eliminate squeeze and loft the undies helps eliminate dynamic instability and the (supposed) need for ankle weights.

Ankle weight will ride up/down the ankle. As depth increases the boot sweezes and thus loosens the ankle weight which causes another situation and throws off the diver. Truth be told it is not the right course of action for floaty feet. A heavier fin would be a wiser choice. And a thinner boot aswell. Ankle weights are drop in the hat-non fix solution. in the end you will not need them. What should be concentrated on is balancing the entire rig so as to avoid extra lead in a crutial pivot point of the body. Proper trim is the norm. Proper balance is the key. Good fitting gear, BC - tank position and the proper weight distribution will eliminate the floaty feet - head down position as many new divers may experience.

just my opinion.

I wear ankle weights most of the time. I also wear 7mm boots along with a 7mm wetsuit and hooded vest. I use the weights to not only shift my center of gravity but to keep my feet in a lower position. Do I need them, no, but it is more comfortable to dive with them on -- for me. I'm short, I've tried lowering my cylinder, letting some slack out of my bc shoulder straps, and moved my weight around. I can hover in most any position and have great trim. I just have floaty feet. If I'm using a pair of thin, boots I don't have the problem as much. If dive out in CA without thick boots, I get too cold and am not comfortable. No thanks.

Do what you need to do to feel comfortable. If you need ankle weights, don't sweat it. When you get more experience, you can try diving without them and then decide which you like better. I've noticed that once a diver has some experience and is comfortable, it seem that it is mostly women that have floaty feet. Probably the difference in body make-up.

I need to purchase a pair of my own ankle weights before my open water dives next week.

Maybe not...

Ankle weights may be one of the top "gear solutions to a technique problem" in scuba.

Ask the instructor/shop if they have a pair of ankle weights you can borrow while they are working with you to sort out your weighting and trim to the point that you don't need them. It might likely be that your feet aren't floaty, but rather your head is too heavy!

Back
Top Bottom