Question about diving with a depth limit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone has said it above, but sounds like extremely over cautious advice on a number of different levels.

I'd recommend a second opinion from a physician experienced with diving medicine.

i am a c5 quad. broken neck fused from c4-c6 with a steel plate with no depth restriction from it

Windmill and Shirkston quarries in Ft Erie and the world renowned Niagara River drift dive a must do. I think the deepest reported was 32 ft and we think that guy dug a hole and put his computer console in it:eyebrow:
When the current's up it's a thrill ride!

+1 to getting a 2nd opinion from a Dr that knows something about diving (perhaps even DAN may be able to offer some advise)

Having said that, I'm a little farther east (Ottawa) but in the Brockville / Prescott area there are a number of truly enjoyable dives with a maximum depth of around 30 ft (The Rothesay & Conestoga come to mind)

Keep in mind, docs cover themselves by being overly cautious. If he does do something that causes DCS, the doc can now say, "I warned him" and have protection from lawsuits.

If his true concern is masking the bends, you should still be able to do deeper dives. Just add a little more margin of safety. Also keep in mind the RDP is typically already fairly conservative. So with that in mind, subtract a few minutes to the max time at a given depth, do a 5 min safety stop instead of 3, etc.

If you're hell bent on staying above 35 ft, it will certainly be more difficult to find reliable dive buddies. You might find one here and there but after one day of diving, they may not be so interested in a 2nd trip. Now if you bribe them with lunch and air fills, that might help. :wink:

I'm with seaducer. The argument that you couldn't recognize post-dive symptoms is a pretty shaky one. You are familiar with your pain, and my guess is you will notice a significant change in it. Even if you have neurologic symptoms (numbness or tingling) you know what it usually is.

I've got a ton of arthritis in various joints and my back hurts most of the time, and it's aggravated by hauling gear and climbing ladders. I'll admit I have sat after a dive or two and wondered . . . but the potential confusion certainly isn't enough to keep me from diving, and doing cave and technical diving to boot.

I think you have one of those doctors that doesn't want ANYTHING to come back at him. I empathize with him; we live in a litigation-rich society.

I have two herniated discs in my neck, one in my back and a couple of compressed discs... and I didn't even know this could be an issue.

If the problem is that you won't know if you're suffering decompression, then make extra sure you don't come up too fast.

You should always see a doctor, to be sure....

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom