Question about ears / bloody nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not alone on this. I use to joke that that's why I had a black mask - when I had a clear one people use to freak out about the blood in it. In my case as I gained more experience in equalizing the problem disappeared. Now if I descend slow I can equalize by swallowing and moving the back of my throat and rarely have to squeeze my nose. But everyone is different so as others have said best to get it checked out by a qualified ENT.

Joe

I am new at diving as well, and did I just see a post where a more experienced diver is prescribing sudafed? In my very recent course our instructor made it very clear to the dangers of all drugs, alcohol, and medications. She made a point about sudafed and allergies. Diving deep and then having the medication wear off. Talked about a very bad reverse block possiblility.

I have a lot to learn but this does not make sense to suggest medications. Am I wrong here?

I just saw an ENT for this same issue, and he suggested Sudafed at least an hour before diving.

It's important to realize that a) there can be anatomic reasons for these problems, which is why an exam is warranted, and b) not all docs have any idea what's involved in diving. A physician who recommends Sudafed must be sure that there ISN'T an anatomic problem, and should carefully brief the issues involved in the use of the medication, including heightened anxiety, increased susceptibility to arrhythmias in those with a history, and lowered seizure threshold, which is an issue for people with any seizure history, or using Nitrox. The patient should also be counseled about the issues which may occur if the drug wears off underwater, or is insufficient to relieve the problem. Difficulties with descent are one thing -- the worst that happens to you is that you lose a dive. Blocks on ASCENT are entirely other -- you have no choice but to go to the surface, and if you cannot equalize on ascent, the best outcome you can hope for is a blown eardrum. The worst is permanent vertigo and hearing loss, which can be really debilitating.

Confession: I have used Sudafed (and Afrin) for the purposes of diving. I am very careful about how I do it, use it only to relieve MILD symptoms, and I do NOT push my ears at all if I am using the drugs. And I know I've taken a risk of permanent, major injury.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom