Question about feet cramping when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a pair of hard sole booties that caused my feet to cramp, I switched to one size larger and they stopped cramping. I lost one of the booties and went back to my old pair, the cramps returned. I found out what was causing my feet to cramp.

I found my foot cramping came from cold feet. I started using a pair of neoprene socks under my boots and problem solved. Just a thought. :)

Force Fins took away all the cramping I had. And secondly, never let the captain know that you have bananas on his boat.

I'm going to break with the heard a little bit on this.

First some background (I'm no doctor, just to be clear):

Muscle cramps in the lower legs and feet are very common and in the absence of injury or underlying medical conditions usually caused by

a) overexertion / vigorous tensing of the muscles
b) circulation issues (cold or fins too tight)
c) dehydration
d) low levels of certain minerals in the blood, including calcium and magnesium, the levels of which can be lowered by hyperventilation.

So projected onto a foot cramp caused while diving then possible causes could be

a) overexertion or vigorous tensing. This could be question of relaxation but may also indicate that your fins are in fact TOO big and you're (consciously or not) tensing your feet to fill up the extra room

b) poor circulation caused by restrictions to the blood flow. This could indicate fins or boots that are too tight or a suit that is too tight. It might also be a function of aging.

c) dehydration. Over use of diurectics such as coffee/caffeine or alcohol and/or just not drinking enough.

d) reduction in calcium and magnesium levels in your blood by hyperventilation.

So it's hard to give accurate advice without seeing you because your problem could have several sources.

However, if you use the shotgun approach, you might be able to solve it.

a) get help with the proper fitting of your fins. Go for the goldilocks zone. Not too tight. Not too loose. Include a good look at the tightness of your suit (esp. the boots and behind your knees) as part of this process.

b) become conscious of any tension you're holding in your body. Breathe fairly deeply, fairly slowly and regularly as you go and every time you exhale let the muscle tension flow out. This is good advice that may very well improve your comfort anyway even if it doesn't solve your cramping issues.

c) drink lots of water or isotonic sport drink at least 1/2 hour before you go diving.

hope that gives you some ideas to go on.

R..

+1 for the size issue I have wide feet (4E+) and tried several fins before I found a pair that didn't cause cramping when I went diving, now I have bigger fins and looser straps and do not have any crapming issues

How often do you dive? All of the above could be the problem or a contributing factor to the problem.
However, it could also be that you are using muscle groups that are not used while walking on terafirma. Find some foot exercises and do them daily.

I'm shocked that so many people are blaming equipment. Yes, your fins must fit you and your style of kick, but Diver0001 hit the nail on the head: Get in shape by walking several miles a day (or running, if you can), and repeat often. My bet is foot cramps will be a long forgotten problem.

Thanks everyone for the advice...definitely some things to think about.

Here is something else that I didn't think to include...if I extend my foot...think of sitting with your legs on a foot rest and point your toes...if I curl my toes, they immediately cramp (takes 10-20 seconds). This is a similar position when diving. Don't know why it happens, but it happens rather quickly. I also noticed this when lying in bed in my stomach...if I point my toes, they cramp...even when not exercising...weird...now the real question...what to do about it.

John

Back
Top Bottom