Question about hyperbaric chamber rides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My girlfriend is a Dr. and is actually doing a 4 day training on how to use the hyperbaric chamber. I'll be glad to ask her anything you guys want to know.

While size of chambers may vary around the world, they are often large enough for 6 people at a time. I haven't seen what MJ used, but the chamber is like a small room, curved ceiling, maybe 8' by 15'. So it isn't that small. Check out your local hospital.

Chamber sizes vary- from the "coffin-like" (monoplace??) up to large room- like (at least in the pictures that I've seen) where attendants/nurses can stand and the "victims can sit in easy chair type chairs .
I am most familiar(sadly) with a chamber that is big enough for 2 "victims" on pull down cots, and an attendant. That's where I learned that I was somewhat(?) claustrophobic. They did have, and use, sedatives- and the people on the "chamber team" were great.
Trust me- as somebody who has "been there done that", the claustrophobic chamber rides will be the lesser of 2 evils,-if you need them.
Hopefully, you never will.

Most major hospitals that house a chamber, normally will have one of the larger types as they're used to treat burns, cancer and MVA patients. The 'coffin' style chambers are normally used as an onsite hyperbaric chamber, so most commercial/long liveaboards would be operations that would have these smaller chambers. It's really only used if there is an immediate need to recompress someone in a situation that the operator cannot transport the victim to a major hospital; or it's more financially beneficial for them to have their private chamber.

They give some really, really good stuff :bonk:

Tranquilizers.

Uh... No.
Tranquilizers will mimic conditions that they are on guard for, like Lethargy, lack of attention, etc.

Horses aren't being treated for DCS and they don't have to worry about whether he's going into shock, or about to faint, etc. They are usually treating for infection like gangrene (sp).

As far as chambers go... the one I rode in every day was big enough for 4 divers and a DMT if necessary. I've seen one's that were big enough to house multiple people. The one at our hospital is about the size of a large bathroom.

Remember that the incidence of DCS is about 1 in 2000 dives. And presumably you can make your risk even lower so there are other things like running out of gas or being fit to dive that deserve more attention.

At least in my experence with chambers you have to put on and take off an oxygen mask so being significantly sedated in a one person chamber would not be possible. Also anything that compromised normal circulation would be out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom