Question about maximum depth???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"all diving is decompression diving. and decompression is only theory."
you are the one going to 150 feet not me. i go to 145 feet on a regular basis, but that’s me. you are the one putting 150' of water between you and the surface with your buddy holding a spear gun. please let me ask you a question? do you feel safe? do you think what you are doing is worth the risk you mite or mite not be taking? There is nothing down there worth taking risk's for. Take a deco course, its worth it just for safety’s sake.

Armydiver:
"all diving is decompression diving. and decompression is only theory."
you are the one going to 150 feet not me. i go to 145 feet on a regular basis, but that’s me. you are the one putting 150' of water between you and the surface with your buddy holding a spear gun. please let me ask you a question? do you feel safe? do you think what you are doing is worth the risk you mite or mite not be taking? There is nothing down there worth taking risk's for. Take a deco course, its worth it just for safety’s sake.

at that depth you better be safe or sorry. and honestly i wouldnt want my buddy holding a spear, he might think im fair game!

gcbryan:
In Europe rec diving is to 165fsw and people use air all the time.
That's new to me. Care to explain?

Laurens

El Orans:
That's new to me. Care to explain?

Laurens

I think he's referring to the old CMAS limits. PADI requirements have never been like this, nor do many CMAS affiliates use these limits.

R..

Diver0001:
I think he's referring to the old CMAS limits. PADI requirements have never been like this, nor do many CMAS affiliates use these limits.

R..

BSAC recommend a maximum of 50m on air and the dive leader and above qualification is to a maximum depth of 50m (165ft). They do also stress the important of the proper equipment and training for the job.

nauidiver2004:
Thats the funny thing with narcosis, you don't feel it while your there.

Not always. Sometimes you realise youre narced and its glaringly obvious to yourself. Note "sometimes" in there though.

CMAS 3 star is a 60m qualification (air). The BSAC qual (equivalent to CMAS 2*) is 50m.

However, the ascertion that people dive to these depths "all the time" is a bit crazy and totally wrong.

A quick look at all the European divers taking trimix qualifications will soon tell you that deep air is becoming a thing of the past.

Chris

Boondocks, walk me through a scenario...

You and your buddy are at 150 feet on air spearing fish. You have a regulator hose rupture and find yourself very quickly with no breathable air.

What exactly do you do?

chrisch:
CMAS 3 star is a 60m qualification (air). The BSAC qual (equivalent to CMAS 2*) is 50m.

A quick look at all the European divers taking trimix qualifications will soon tell you that deep air is becoming a thing of the past.

Chris

Don't know about the BSAC but CMAS* 15m, CMAS** 30m, CMAS*** 40m, and CMAS*** with deep dive training 50m. Anyway in this country...
And yes, there's lot of Tech training around. Maybe some day I'll be Teddy the TechDiver but so far

Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures and Advanced Spearfishing would be the proper courses to take. Find a technical instructor that seriously participates in spearfishing, not cave or wreck only. Equipment is best suited to the specialized needs of the sport.

It's a common misconception that spearfishers are always darting around and overexerting. At least the good ones are not.

Jonnythan,

Assuming one of my fresh, well inspected LP hoses still blew, a switch to my second primary, followed by an immediate shutdown of the bad side of the valve, would be in order. Then assess the gas supply and ascend to recreational depths at least. The depth and time of the dive and terrain of the site will dictate if the hunt is over. (Although solo was the planned dive mode, it's possible my buddy might have heard the failure and may be investigating.) If terminating the dive, the tank may be good for another shallower drop later in the day.

Since this dive is borderline ER, especially by spearing standards, the narcosis level is managable for a calm, experienced diver. A lean nitrox would be a sufficient mix.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom