Question about pony bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By standardizing I mean there are some general concepts that are accepted and taught by most agencies (UTD/GUE aside).

First, that you share available air with your buddy if they are in need. This doesn't mean extending a routine dive or not preferring to donate one airsource over the other, but in the end, if someone is OOA, you give them air. This is of course, because another general concept is that, if there is trouble like that on a dive, the dive should end. There is no need to "save" air. No agency teaches rec divers to carry an airsource they will not donate to others (MOD/mixes aside). If conditions require reserve air for exit, one would assume that is factored into the dive plan.

The second concept is donating the octo, which should be kept in the triangle. That octo may be off the backgas or off the pony, but it should be where most people expect it to be. Will some people grab the primary, sure. But the SOP is donation of the octo.

In cases where the diver varies those principles (longhose primaries, Air2's etc...) it is up to them to ensure an unsuspecting buddy is made aware of those changes and to be prepared for that diver to revert to their basic training. If I'm using my longhose with a new diver I know I have to be proactive should they need a donation, or they may grab my B/U by reflex.

Probably the underlying theme I see being negated in some posts is the notion of choosing whether to render aid to a buddy in need or not. Some seem to think it's an option, wherein training suggests it's an obligation. Of course that does not extend to self endangerment, but before that line is crossed one is expected to do everything they can with everything they have. If ones thoughts run counter to that, they should be clearly expressed to the unknowing buddy who may have different expectations based on the general principles of the buddy system.

Last edited:
That'll make the situation better.
If you're doing something dumb, getting hit in the face will stop you from doing that- at least for a minute.

Better that them them flailing around, smashing the inflate button, and kicking toward the surface...all 7 feet away and too far to do anything about it- except hang on while they drag you up.

If you're doing something dumb, getting hit in the face will stop you from doing that- at least for a minute.

Better that them them flailing around, smashing the inflate button, and kicking toward the surface...all 7 feet away and too far to do anything about it- except hang on while they drag you up.

Yeah that is a great plan. I wish we could make it a standard protocol, but it might not be as effective in Bonaire where gloves are prohibited.

Have you EVER done any of this? Shared air in an emergency? Had anyone panic and try to drag you up toward the surface?
Punched people in the face while diving? Have you witnessed anything like this occurring during a dive?

Yeah that is a great plan. I wish we could make it a standard protocol, but it might not be as effective in Bonaire where gloves are prohibited.

Have you EVER done any of this? Shared air in an emergency? Had anyone panic and try to drag you up toward the surface?
Punched people in the face while diving? Have you witnessed anything like this occurring during a dive?
Go Away- stop trying to start fights.

What a great thread. Even all of the pissing matches have had a lot of useful information. I am going to buy a pony and start slinging it around and training with it just because of this thread. I ain't giving up my octo though, I promise you that.

So much hot air.

Do you have anything to add; or are you like dumpster, and just trying to provoke a fight?

Probably the underlying theme I see being negated in some posts is the notion of choosing whether to render aid to a buddy in need or not.

Where in the world did you get that from. I didn't see anyone saying that aid would not be rendered. Only that they would determine how and with what that aid would be given - sensible as they best know the parameters of their equipment.

If ones thoughts run counter to that, they should be clearly expressed to the unknowing buddy who may have different expectations based on the general principles of the buddy system

Thought I clearly said that everything is always not only expressed but practiced before splashing. Quit making things up.

Sometimes I write in general terms, sometimes in specific terms. One clue would be if I use your name. If I am speaking generally and something fits, wear it; if not, don't.

I do like to debate/discuss ideas and think the main issues responded to, with their pros and cons, have been kicked around enough. I've made my POV clear about them. I'm not interested in continuing a personal back and forth so I think I'll leave it at that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom