Question about wireless slaves and fiber-optic cables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DryGear

Registered
Reaction score
So when I bought my underwater case for my camera the Olympus Rep sold me on a top-mount wireless u/w slave flash :turkey: ...after getting some experience with it I quickly discovered this was a very poor setup. I have since built a proper tray and am now trying to move the flash away from the camera to avoid soo much backscatter but of course if the sensor on the wireless slave can’t pickup the camera flash it won’t work.

So my question is this; if I jerry-rig a fiber-optic cable from the front of the flash to the underside of the strobe's sensor, should it trigger the strobe??

What camera/strobe?

The E520/620 will work with the sync cord in RC mode. In fact that's the best way to work them as you can control the strobe from the camera.

I'm not so sure about older cameras though. But if it has an RC mode it should work.

Jack

It is a Olympus 790SW and a UFL-1 strobe https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/empProdDetails.asp?sku=202116-410 It actually takes very respectable pictures when it's not lighting up every particle in the water.

I think I may have answered my own question as I see they now offer a fiber optic cable (at and extreme price) for the UFL-1 strobe ...that's a new item since I bought mine almost a year ago.

...my next thread will be me trying to figure out how to mount a cable under the sensor. LoL

Back
Top Bottom