Question for experienced dry suit divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here is the story. My parents just bought a new house on a lake in Indiana. The lake used to be an old rock quarry. So I am hoping to try out the diving. I mean how much more convenient could it be to take my kids to visit grandma and get to dive off their private pier, right? Who knows I might spend my vacations at my parents house from now on. But here is the problem. I don't know what the water temp. ranges are but I am expecting the quarry to be colder than ABWA near Birmingham Al. My 3 mil core warmer and 3 mil full suit with hood and gloves are just barely tolerable for diving in North Alabama. Does anyone think what I am already diving would work in Terre Haute, Indiana? I would suspect not. Here is the other problem. I am a big guy. I am 6'7" tall and wear a size 17 shoe. I only have a 42" waist and a 54" chest. I have never considered buying a dry suit since they wouldn't come with boots to fit or since my preference for diving locations is much more tropical and warm. But it may be worth buying one since my mom and dad moved. I suppose one with seals at the bottom of the leg would be the best choice and then I could just use my regular boots. But I wouldn't be adverse to buying a thicker wetsuit either. But I don't really know what thickness would be necessary to dive in Indiana. I think I was in Indiana once and that was after Christmas and it was pretty freaking cold.
So any advice would be appreciated. As well as, anyone from the Terre Haute area that would be interested in coming over and trying out the lake with me, dive buddies are always welcome.

Thanks for all of your help.

Just a suggestion. Go dry, your size means custom. Better off with a custom suit anyway, fits better. The boot size, get soft boots. I don't think you can get rockboots or trekboots big enough to fit, but you could probablly use a pair of canvice high tops, which are pretty close to trek or rockboots. Dry suit equals comfort, no matter how cold the water is.

I agree that a custom dry suit is in your future, if you're going to dive at the folks. It'll be spendy, but if you get a good one and take care of it, you can dive it in all kinds of locations just by switching the undies.

BTW, just wondering what kind of fins you use with size 17 feet? I can't imagine a fin that will take a size 17 rock boot, so it's soft boots for you I would guess.

Rick Inman:
BTW, just wondering what kind of fins you use with size 17 feet? I can't imagine a fin that will take a size 17 rock boot, so it's soft boots for you I would guess.

Sounds like he doesn't need fins with them Ronald McDonald feet. :11: :wink:

I agree with everyone else here, custom drysuit is definitely the ticket here.

Tritto. Custom drysuit. If you go DUI, go turbosoles - they will fit your feet. Have someone measure you who has measured people for drysuits many times before. Wear only PT shorts and a T-shirt while being measured. Fit on a drysuit is important..., you'll want to get it right.

BTW, people wear drysuits all over the world. They're not only good for extremely cold water. With a good trilam drysuit, such as a DUI 350 or 450, its the undergarment that determines the comfort level. Something like a DUI 350 would be useful in a place like, for example, the Galapagos.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

Well, just to satisfy curiosity.....
I do have Scubapro XXXL softboots, and I use Scubapro Twin Jet fins, gray, size XXL. Since they are open heel I just let the strap on out.
The idea about the canvas shoes is a pretty good idea though,
....but you could probablly use a pair of canvice high tops, which are pretty close to trek or rockboots........
Thinking something like the old style Converse, Chuck Taylors? That might work pretty well.
If I have a good dry suit that keeps my body good and warm, will my hands and feet stay warm as well?
But then again like most big guys, I don't mind the cold so much, it is just the extended exposure I am worried about.
So next question.....
Where should I get a dry suit from and what should I expect to spend on one? I don't want to buy junk, but I am not worried about driving the Cadillac of all drysuits either. You know, plain jane, functional, quality....etc.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, you guys are very helpful.

Rick Inman:
With a size 17 why would you even need fins!! :D

Rock quarry or gravel pit? Gravel pits tend to have worse viz.

Typically quarries around here that are at least 40 ft and deeper are typically in the low 40s in the winter (occasionally high 30s) and only warm up to the upper 40s at depth around the first of September. The surface can reach the low 80s. You might see the upper 50s down to 35 ft or so.

The shallow quarries in the 20 ft range may warm up to as high as the low 80s. The viz typically suffers in these quarries during the hot months.

Why not rent a 7 mm suit from a LDS. I believe there is one in Brazil that is not to far from Terre Haute. The 3 mm suit will likely only be sufficient in the shallower than 30 ft depths during the hot months (July - Sep).

Check it out before commiting to a Drysuit unless you intend to use it elsewhere.

SamDiver14:
Okay, here is the story. My parents just bought a new house on a lake in Indiana. The lake used to be an old rock quarry. So I am hoping to try out the diving. I mean how much more convenient could it be to take my kids to visit grandma and get to dive off their private pier, right? Who knows I might spend my vacations at my parents house from now on. But here is the problem. I don't know what the water temp. ranges are but I am expecting the quarry to be colder than ABWA near Birmingham Al. My 3 mil core warmer and 3 mil full suit with hood and gloves are just barely tolerable for diving in North Alabama. Does anyone think what I am already diving would work in Terre Haute, Indiana? I would suspect not. Here is the other problem. I am a big guy. I am 6'7" tall and wear a size 17 shoe. I only have a 42" waist and a 54" chest. I have never considered buying a dry suit since they wouldn't come with boots to fit or since my preference for diving locations is much more tropical and warm. But it may be worth buying one since my mom and dad moved. I suppose one with seals at the bottom of the leg would be the best choice and then I could just use my regular boots. But I wouldn't be adverse to buying a thicker wetsuit either. But I don't really know what thickness would be necessary to dive in Indiana. I think I was in Indiana once and that was after Christmas and it was pretty freaking cold.
So any advice would be appreciated. As well as, anyone from the Terre Haute area that would be interested in coming over and trying out the lake with me, dive buddies are always welcome.

Thanks for all of your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom