Question for female divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there still such a thing as Dee rags? :crafty: This might be an appropriate time to advertise... :eyebrow: jajaja

All of us started out as Wanna-be's!

As for your wife's question...sorry, I have short hair and have no clue!

eta....Is her concern whether the extensions will stay in? Other than that it's no different than anyone else diving with long hair. Use a beanie, or a do rag to contain the long hair.

tough question, long hair or convenient diving, gimme a second. Solution is in priorities get'em straight. CUT IT OFF . :D

I just recently cut my hair, so all dives I've done have been with REALLY long hair. I agree with one of the previous posters about doing up a braid. Im guessing your girl is concerned about tangles AND her extensions falling out.... she should probably ask her hair stylist about the potential of them falling out, but as for the tangles, braid it, and my hair's best friend post-dive is a good (eco-friendly) leave in conditioner. :wink:

I once had an encounter with hair extensions. I'm sure Walter has all the details in his log book, to me is just a nasty memory that heavily contributed to set in my mind the fact that I need to stay away from people as much as possible.

Again, I don't remember names, dates or exact locations. Walter and I were diving off a local charter in the Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale area.
Dives were uneventful until 2 divers showed up that didn't belong in our boat, the current had taken them from another charter or something similarly lame. The captain of our boat must have been applying for the Mother Theresa opening because he decided pick up these 2 excuses for divers.
They come up the ladder and at least one of them was a woman (don't remember the other one) out off all the places in the boat she plants her butt in my spot, right away Walter is talking to her. Now if Walter talks to you is not easy to be in crappy mood, the guy is ridiculously friendly and truly has very good sense of humor. Not this person; her dive was crappy, this area is crappy, the ocean is crappy, just a plethora of complaints. Then, after some more bitching I look in her direction and all I see is the seams of some weird devices in the back of her head as she is throwing up INSIDE MY DIVE BAG, turns out those seams belong to hair pieces she had in between her real hair. My memories after that are painful because I didn't kill that person, I didn't even grab her by an arm and throw her over board which is what she deserved (and she was smaller than me so I could have easily done that) nooo I swallowed all that inside. Since then, every opportunity I have I make a point to release some of that venom that was synthesized in my system that day.

So to the OP's girlfriend: Tell her that those hair extensions do stay put during dives even after being taken by currents, and missing the boat, and being an ungrateful brat. However if the intent is to be attractive she will look gorgeous by just moving gracefully underwater and not throwing up on others people's bags.

ROTFLMAO Thanks Ana, you made me laugh out loud, (wiping away the tears).

I would bet if the hair stylist isn't a diver, she won't have a clue. I would ask her who the manufacturer of the glue is and give them a call.
I have long heavy, curly hair. I have tried braiding it, but I just ended up with an even bigger knot.
I pull my hair in a pony tail and leave it hanging out the back of my hood. During SI's I leave my hair alone and put on a baseball hat. Once I get home and shower I put a ton of heavy duty conditioner in my hair and work out the knots with my fingers. I found that if I tried working out the knots between dives I was damaging my hair.

My perfect situation is two braids down the back of my head that get tied to each other. I can't do that myself and it's a bit much to talk people into though, so sometimes it's just one down the middle. I make sure I put a hair tie in at the top of the braid where it leaves my head as well as one or two at the ends to stop it from flaring out and loosening. I often use leave-in conditioner after my last dive of the day.

My perfect situation is two braids down the back of my head that get tied to each other. I can't do that myself and it's a bit much to talk people into though, so sometimes it's just one down the middle. I make sure I put a hair tie in at the top of the braid where it leaves my head as well as one or two at the ends to stop it from flaring out and loosening. I often use leave-in conditioner after my last dive of the day.

Thats all fine and dandy yet most people responding here have felt I was wrong for feeling this was some type of joke topic yet most replies have nothing to do with the original posters actual question about hair EXTENSIONS, NOT long hair. It seems odd as well we have not heard back from the one so concerned about such things, Sorry but I still think this is some type of joke post so their friends can get a laugh about some hair extention incident

Back
Top Bottom