Question For Hollis - Dc7 Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just Paul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Hollis,

I have a DC7 / 500SE which I love, and I will shortly be moving over to Sidemount. I have three questions that I get differing answers to depending who I ask........

1) Can I get my DC7 yoke converted by my dealer to a DIN (not adaptor)

2) Do you wholeheartedly recommend DC7 for Sidemount setup bearing in mind hose routing options? Your product specs say so, but most people tell me I should without question get a revolving turret

3) How do the 2nd stages sit in the mouth with SM config, considering you can't get (officially) an angled adaptor?

I'd really appreciate your input, thank you.

Do you want our opinions outside of the official response or just that from them?

officially you should see
1. yes
2. yes
3. with braided hoses the route fine

not being on the payroll for hollis, 2 and 3 require some adjustment, where 2 is absolutely not, and 3 is they will work with ball swivels IIRC, but not the 90* adapters. Omni swivels work with no modifications I believe

Do you want our opinions outside of the official response or just that from them?

officially you should see
1. yes
2. yes
3. with braided hoses the route fine

not being on the payroll for hollis, 2 and 3 require some adjustment, where 2 is absolutely not, and 3 is they will work with ball swivels IIRC, but not the 90* adapters. Omni swivels work with no modifications I believe

Thanks tbone, you might have noticed this was a similar question to that which you kindly replied to on another thread of mine!

If I understand your answer correctly, 'unofficially' you suggest to absolutely NOT use DC7 for SM? This is pretty much what I have come to understand now, I guess I was just hoping for a bit of Hollis feedback to keep me on their side!

You and I were talking about Dive Rite regs vs Apeks - I have since found I am able to purchase Dive Rite XT SM set for just over half the price of the Apeks set (from where I currently live, in Dubai, 699usd for full set), so I think that has made my mind up!

The DC7 will work in sidemount, but having turrets are a safety benefit when doing any single file air sharing. The DC1 from Hollis is perfectly adequate for sidemount as you have the 5th port at the bottom if you subscribe to Razor style hose routing, but more importantly you also have the swivel which is just nice to have. The other advantage of the swivel turrets is they weigh quite a bit more which help with trim for most divers. They work fine, but do what works best for you. The DC7 makes a really good stage/deco reg if you O2 clean it since it is nice and small

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom