Question for Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On many dive boats the owner of the boat mandates that the crew turn the tanks on before the dive. The boats I have worked on in Hawaii all have that operating procedure for the crew.

When guests arrive at the boat WE set the gear up on a tank, then WE open the valve to check tank fill and gear operation (leaks, etc). Then WE turn the valve off and purged the lines; WE don't want guests purging off some air during transit.

Before the dive the crew verifies that every divers tank is on, which usually means WE turn every tank on. Since many vacation divers do not notice what the crew is doing and often can't remember lefty loosy, righty tighty, it is also typical for crew to check the valve again as the diver approaches the water entry position. The owner of the boat requires that his crew do these things; it's part of the job description.

What if we don't like anyone else setting up my gear. There are only two people in this world that I would let set up my gear besides myself, even so I would still check it.

I'm sure there are plenty of capable people that can set up my gear but everytime I do a boat dive, I ask the DM or captain to leave my gear alone and usually have it set on my tank before boarding the boat. I've never run into a problem with anyone getting upset about not setting up my gear.

If i'm going to have an accident or incident because of the improper set up of my gear, I would at least have it be my mistake

I still do the 1/4 turn. I will have somone else set up my dive gear on a boat but I will always double check it myself and my wifes if shes diving.

I had an OOA in hawaii because the boat guys turned it off LUCKILY I have long arms, kept my cool, reached around and turned it on in about 30' of water.

Rule to remember, it's nice to have someone setup your gear but you should ALWAYS double check it - your life truly may depend on it.

I teach the full open, 1/4 turn back, mainly because I work with so many teenagers. They are fantastic divers, but occasionally teen boys will try to force a valve open, that is already all the way open. The boys think it's just the initial resistance of a closed valve. When it's 1/4 turn back from full open, the boys immediately feel the valve turn, either direction.

I teach, and divemaster, and I always have my divers check their own gear EVERY time, just moments before going into the water, by physically opening the valve, breathing at least two good strong breaths, while looking at the PG.

What if we don't like anyone else setting up my gear. There are only two people in this world that I would let set up my gear besides myself, even so I would still check it.

Like I said;

Many posters here on SB seem to be OCD about other people touching their gear. It's only scuba gear, it survives airline baggage handling,

Even with the less than 1% who demand to set up their own gear, we are optomistic we still might get a $5 tip, so the mate graciously hand down a tank from the boat on the trailer so you can rig it up and then the Captain hands it back up to the mate. I'm reasonably sure no one's ever dropped one during that procedure.

Many posters here on SB seem to be OCD about other people touching their gear. It's only scuba gear, it survives airline baggage handling,

It may survive airline baggage handling, but I dont have to put it on and dive to X depth right after they handle it. I doubt anyone would break something just by assembling it, but its a trust thing. I depend on that gear for my life support when i'm underwater.

There are tons of post on here that all say the same thing: You are the only one responsible for your diving safety:: While many people seem to agree with that motto, they feel its ok to allow someone else to set up their gear. I think the first part of your diving responsibility is before you ever get into the water, it's setting up your gear.

Also I always tip for good service usually more than 5 dollars. I don't use setting up my own gear as a way to skip out of gratuity. If the diving staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt, I have no problem tipping 20%. Please don't assume because I am responsible with setting up my gear, that I am cheap or inconsiderate of service professionals.

Even with the less than 1% who demand to set up their own gear, we are optomistic we still might get a $5 tip, so the mate graciously hand down a tank from the boat on the trailer so you can rig it up and then the Captain hands it back up to the mate. I'm reasonably sure no one's ever dropped one during that procedure.

As long as the boat arrives at the dive site and is there when I surface, I'll happily pay $5 a tank. If the DM brought some water, leaves my stuff alone and doesn't give me a hard time about "helping", I'll pay $10.

There were only two times I didn't leave a tip. The first one was in Cozumel when the DM tried to convince me that it was OK to dive with the inflator hose ripped off the BC (actually I'd be OK with that now, but @ 7 dives, I wasn't) and in Grenada when they overloaded the boat so badly that it sank.

It's not paranoia about "touching my stuff" it's that I know how to set it up and know how I configure everything so I know where everything is and what state it's in. There's simply nothing the DM can do to my stuff that's actually helpful.

Terry

I teach all the way open and back half-a-turn. The Navy teaches this as "the easy check method." Regardless of which side if the valve you are on, if you move it left-right or right-left and it moves freely; it's open. If you try to move it and it doesn't move, is it open or closed? You have no time to think about it; you have a Master Chief crawling-up your butt... What is it? :)

Wayne

...There were only two times I didn't leave a tip...and in Grenada when they overloaded the boat so badly that it sank...

That's it, then! If the boat sinks, no tip!

I back off 1/4 turn for me, and my regular buddy and me always set up our own gear. We do a visual check, but the closest we get to touching each other's valve is asking, "Is your air on?" unless the answer is no.

All this "back off a quarter turn or not" is, however, beside the point.

You must have the habit of checking your air every time, that's all there is to it.

That, and apparently there's no point in putting your tip money in a water-proof bag.

wet money is still money.

I like the fact that I can reach my own valve while diving. If you'd ever dove over the gunnel negative with fins in hand and tank valve off you'd like to reach your own valve too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom