Question for Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've almost never been able to reach my valve while wearing my rig. I wish I could, but it's usually several inches from my hand, not even nearly close enough. I adjust my rig for trim, and if it works out that I can reach the valve, great, but I can usually only reach the valve when I'm using a really long tank.

Luckily I always have the tank valve at the same position relative to the back of my head, and I can reach it in that position. If I need to adjust trim due to differences in tank &/or BC I place my weights differently.

Another benefit from this is I can turn down the valve to modulate free flow on my alternate when it all the sudden starts bubbling.

I teach open all the way and a quarter of a turn back because I have seen them stick on an occasion. That has nothing to do with people turning your air off.
I don't care who screws with my gear, before I enter the water, I check it myself. I teach my students to do the same. Your gear, your responsibility. Plus, there are enough fools who will turn off your air for whatever reason, that I double check my stuff every time. It only takes a second.

If I were an instructor, I would teach to the letter of the dive agencies instructional manual - although personally I like your method.

I always teach the 1/4 turn back as well, it very easy to check by breathing and looking at your SPG at the same time, if needle goes down then tank not open properly. Nobody mentioned the 1/4 turn back also helps prevent damage if it gets knocked on rocks ladder etc as it can spin freely!!!!

Back
Top Bottom