Question for LDS owners/mgrs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I started a Beginning Scuba Diver group at my church and recruited 10 people to take the OW PADI course at my LDS. I signed them up, took their deposits (which I gave the LDS) and handed out their PADI OW packets. None of them have ever been in a dive shop, and the class starts next Wednesday. Here’s the question:
I am SSI certified but the class is PADI (I like the owner and the location). I am going to take the class with them ‘cause I want to be a part of the group – I could care less about the PADI card. At the outset of this, the LDS owner said he would cut me a break on the class price. I going down to finalize this with him and I’m wondering what you think is a fair price. Should I pay full price? Half? FREE?? He did nothing to get the students, who I hope he makes lots of money from. But they do have to put me through the class – which includes time and materials (plus, I’ll use their gear in the pool). However, one friend of mine said that they should PAY me a commission!
I really want what’s fair. What do you think?
Oh yeah. Full cost is $200.00.
Thanks!

At my LDS, the instructors are affiliated with the store, but the payment to the instructor comes from the student. (Sure, sometimes the student pays the store, and they pay the instructor...)

So, I'd say it may depend on the relationship between the store and the instructors (are they employees?).

I would think that most instructors would want you enrolled as a student, in order to join the class...

I vote for you paying half...heh

But I wouldn't pay more than half. I signed up some buddies to take a nitrox course and got mine for the cost of the certification process ($15). 10 people in an OW class is a decent profit for the LDS, and with you already certified you're not utilizing near the amount of instructor time. If he appreciates the referrals he ought to work you an awesome deal,

I had a shop until July of this year and there isn't any way I could make any money teaching OW classes for $200 and it wouldn't matter how many students there were. Heck the crew pack alone costs around $50 and the pic is about $13. A class like that isn't worth teaching at all unless it sells equipment.

To put it in perspective, I'm charging $450 now and I don't have the shop overhead. I think you're already getting it for half price.

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...
10 people in an OW class is a decent profit for the LDS, and with you already certified you're not utilizing near the amount of instructor time.

Actually, I make number eleven, which he said is one over the max, but was OK since I'm already certified.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I had a shop until July of this year and there isn't any way I could make any money teaching OW classes for $200 and it wouldn't matter how many students there were. Heck the crew pack alone costs around $50 and the pic is about $13. A class like that isn't worth teaching at all unless it sells equipment.

To put it in perspective, I'm charging $450 now and I don't have the shop overhead. I think you're already getting it for half price.
So, you're saying there is NO benefit in me supplying 10 new customers with NO gear who all need to buy gear?? Why does he have classes at all if not to attract customers? Why does he have a big expensive sign outside his shop that says, "SCUBA CLASS $200.00"? If he looses money, why not have a sign saying, "PLEASE DON'T TAKE A CLASS FROM ME!"??
The folks I signed up are already asking me where they should buy their gear.
You would think that the LDS owner would want to motivate me to point them to him so he does NOT close down.
Also, I just bought a drysuit from him because of the relationship we established through putting this class together.
So, buy buying equiptment from him and bringing him 10 new customers, he is loosing money on me.
Guess I just don't unnerstand 'da dive shop bisness...

Rick Inman once bubbled...

Actually, I make number eleven, which he said is one over the max, but was OK since I'm already certified.

It's not really ok. The official PADI recommendation is to include tag-alongs in the student to instructor ratio. I stress that's a recommendation but it's sound advice. I the OW conditions we train in I would never have ten students in the water at one time. In fact I doubt I would ever have ten in the water no matter how good conditions were. I don't even like that many in the pool. We call out classes full with six students. Actually with the shop closed I've asked my wife to try not to schedule more than 4 in a class.

Exactly dude, why even do the class? You like the shop/owner and want to be a part of the group, ok got it. What are you willing to pay for the class? Sounds like you shelled out some bucks on a drysuit, all the noobs are gonna need rigs, etc. There's plenty of gear sells there, what are you getting out of it? What class do you need next? Sitting in on the OW class and not receiving the card shouldn't cost anything. Make a deal on your next educational step.

"if you asked me...and nobody has" (Eiore, A.A. Milne, "Winnie the Pooh,-Blustery day).

Sounds like perhaps a lot of this should have been established before you reached this point.

Kinda like agreeing to buy a car from a used car salesman who says, "Don't worry I'll take care of you, we'll work out the details later." "Trust me"..............

$200 for a quality class??? You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is....

If you truly feel that: "The (PADI) card means nothing", and you are "tagging along to be part of the group". You will most likely learn nothing. Therefore your being there will most likely not add any positive aspect for the rest. In fact it could be a distraction and an inconvenience. Bout as useful as a little brother in the back seat at the drive in.

As far as 10 customers all buying a full set of gear from him....I would not count on it. Perhaps he would pay you some sort of commish on the ones who do?

I don't think I would like to be in your shoes in this situation. You are recommending a particular dive center, and instructor based on the fact that you "like" him. What if the group does NOT like him? What if things do not work out so well for some other reason? As this is a church group, at least there probably won't be a linching. But there could be some hard feelings.

My opinion is that this whole thing leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Perhaps a meeting including all participants and the instructor is in order. If it's not too late.

Back
Top Bottom