Question for Nemrod or DA Aquamaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex777, I have to say--FINALLY--somebody posts a pic that shows exactly what a thousand words could never explain--neutral bouyancy with no BC. Of course, as you note, this is easiest with little or no exposure protection. I can as can most others get reasonably neutral with 3/2 full suits and with some work even a 5MM but the thicker the suit the more challenging it becomes. Some people talk the minimalsit approach up but few actually practice it. You clearly do. And yes, minimalism is not specific to vintage as you point out. Just as there is tech and cave and DIR and vintage and what have you there is now minimalism. Great pic! N

LOL. Yes, I have done several hundred dives without a BC (or weights, or a wetsuit) but I have to admit I have some advantages - warm, clear water, little current, etc. I also dive solo this way with a 19 cf. pony bottle + redundant reg. If you ever make it to the Caymans, let's go diving ...

Vintage or non-vintage, minimalist diving without a BC can be very refreshing - closest thing to freediving without the need to surface repeatedly.

HowWeDive.png

That is a great shot. I like the little poster on the right.

I grew up in the Caribbean (Puerto Rico), but always needed a shorty wet suit (short sleeve, beaver tail shortie). When I used any flotation device it was a Fenzy ("The Divers Parachute") for surface flotation.

Luis, an off-topic question: when will the next batch of Phoenix adapters be available? I am in the process of getting some vintage gear and am looking for a RAM (isn't everyone? :wink:)

As it stands now and not to speak for others, the best place to track news on Phoenix nozzle availability is from the vdh web store, click on Phoenix nozzles. Not an expert on selling stuff but it seems they have sold well but obviously it is also a limited market and the nozzle is fairly expensive to machine and plate and quality check and assemble and all that so therefore the limited periodic runs. You must also sign and MAIL in a waiver before being eligible to purchase. All very much worth doing and waiting for, a long time coming and well worth the wait. Good luck.

N

Luis, an off-topic question: when will the next batch of Phoenix adapters be available? I am in the process of getting some vintage gear and am looking for a RAM (isn't everyone? :wink:)

Bryan has a lot of things going on, so it looks like a couple more months. He is always working on new reproduction parts.

If you are going to convert it to a Phoenix RAM, you might as well start with an Aqua Master. They are far more common and a lot less expensive. The only difference between the two regulators is the first stage which is what the Phoenix replaces to make it into a Royal.

Also it is often more economical to buy a cheap DA that needs to be re-chromed that to try to get a real nice one. The final product after re-chroming is normally a better looking regulator. Some of the rechromers we are using do a great job.

If you need, maybe I can deliver it in person. :wink: I haven't been to the Cayman Islands in over 25 years

You'd find a lot of changes here after 25 years,not all of them good. But, as they say in the car dealer ads, "Come On Down!" Perhaps you can officially open the Cayman Branch of NAVED. :blinking:

Thanks for the advice. I didn't appreciate that Aqua Master + Phoenix nozzle = a RAM. I'm going to check locally for an Aqua Master, keeping an eye on eBay at the same time.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't appreciate that Aqua Master + Phoenix nozzle = a RAM. I'm going to check locally for an Aqua Master, keeping an eye on eBay at the same time.

Yes, the Royal Aqua Master introduced the balanced first stage, using the highly regarded Aqua Master. The exact same first stage was then used in the Conshelf and it is even used in the Titan now a day. Plus several other USD / Aqua Lung regulators have used it or use many of the same parts.

The Phoenix first stage uses most of the same parts as the Titan and Conshelf. The pin is the only custom part. But, I was able to use a readily available pin from McMaster-Carr and just had to trim it to get the needed length.

Note:
I am not positive that the RAM was the absolute very first regulator to use a balanced first stage, but I believe it was. At least it was the first well recognized regulator to use it.

The first stage nozzle (body) of the RAM is a bit longer than the DA to accommodate the different parts.

Take a look at this thread to see the difference between the two regulators:
Vintage Double Hose :: View topic - DA Aqua-Master/Royal Aqua-Master difference?

Very informative. Thanks!

<< I like the little poster on the right. >>

It's a badge I plan to award to anyone I see diving a Tropical Minimalist configuration: mask, full-foot fins, BP or tank harness, reg set & guages, no wetsuit, no BC or Wing, minimal or no weights. :)

Very informative. Thanks!

<< I like the little poster on the right. >>

It's a badge I plan to award to anyone I see diving a Tropical Minimalist configuration: mask, full-foot fins, BP or tank harness, reg set & guages, no wetsuit, no BC or Wing, minimal or no weights. :)

The lower carbon footprint of the minimalist diver is certainly in vogue. Further, the vintage diver is even more carbon friendly since we are recycling gear from decades ago and making it new or functional again.

Nemrod <---keeping the planet green and blue

Back
Top Bottom