Question for Non-professional Divemasters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibj40

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am PADI Divemaster certified, and have religiously renewed every year. When I originally acquired my DM, I anticipated that I would ultimately align myself with a dive shop and get involved in teaching, maybe eventually acquiring Instructor status.

Life situations have changed and I no longer anticipate that I will teach, therefore the DM training, to me, is no more than the next level in the progression from OW, to AOW, to Rescue, to DM.

I keep DAN Preferred insurance, and don't access any of the other services offered by PADI, as in my opinion, they are more directed to those who use their DM certification for professional purposes.

My question is: What is the benefit for me to continue to renew?

:idk:

There is no benefit if you don't see one.

Im not sure if you are alrady living the retired life, but it could be a fun job for when you retire. :D

There is no benefit if you don't see one.

Thats deep sensai

your answer is if you can renew your Dive master status at a later date without having to do everything over again let it lapse, if not keep it current, things change.

Well, you do get that incredibly well written, insightful, and not-at-all commercially offensive magazine. :D

I went a decade without renewing. When it became necessary to renew due to a new job, I simply paid the fee, acquired insurance and voila, done.

You can let it lapse. Go 3-5 years and renew and you'll stay in the system without the need to do anything.

You can check PADI's professional page on DM's and it says basically the same thing.

My info is less than 30 days old. I just went through this after a 10 year absence from current DM status.

I went a decade without renewing. When it became necessary to renew due to a new job, I simply paid the fee, acquired insurance and voila, done.

You can let it lapse. Go 3-5 years and renew and you'll stay in the system without the need to do anything.

You can check PADI's professional page on DM's and it says basically the same thing.

My info is less than 30 days old. I just went through this after a 10 year absence from current DM status.

Odd, after my ten year lapse of DM with PADI this is the email they sent me when I asked about reactivating my status.

"Thank you for your interest in renewing your PADI Divemaster rating and taking advantage of the many opportunities and benefits available to you as a PADI Professional. To help ensure that you are prepared to assume the current duties and responsibilities of a PADI Divemaster, you are required to successfully complete all of the following prior to being upgraded to Active status:

1. Divemaster Exams

2. Confined Waterskill Assessment

3. Diver Rescue Assessment

Also required prior to being upgraded is the following:

1. Proof of Emergency First Response Primary Care (CPR) and Secondary Care (First Aid) training (or other qualifying CPR/first aid training) within the last 24 months.

Once this is completed, submit the attached PADI Unrenewed Divemaster Update Application and you’ll be placed in Active Status.

Next, be sure to update your professional liability insurance. In many locations, PADI Divemasters are required to maintain professional liability insurance to be eligible to assume the role of a PADI certified assistant and professional liability insurance is always recommended for PADI Professionals. For information about PADI endorsed coverage from Vicencia and Buckley, visit their website at Vicencia & Buckley Insurance Services, Inc. - Dive Insurance, Dive Boats, Dive Store/Resorts, Professional Liability and follow the links to Professional Liability. If you choose to obtain insurance from Vicencia and Buckley, PADI will automatically be notified. If you choose to purchase coverage from another company, please provide verification to PADI Customer Service. "

Well, you do get that incredibly well written, insightful, and not-at-all commercially offensive magazine. :D

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom