Question for old timers - NAUI OW class, early 1970s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did that in the 60's in the ymca coursre. This is rumor,,,,,, but I heard that those skills stopped when bcd's came out. Back then your rig was some what of a back plate set up with out a wing. We wore a horse collar. You loosened the waist strap and took the rig off over our head while beathing and put in on the bottom with your weight belt over it to keep it in one place. You shut off air and went to the edge of the pool. to put it on you dove in put on your weight belt turned on air and breathed. then put the tank on over your head, rolled and secured the waist belt. We did ths with out a wet suit on for obvious reasons. Today with the mass number of hoses and crap with a jacket and very buoyant wet suits it is just too difficult to do that. with the BCD you are better off inflating to get to the surface than you are ditching your rig. After all ifou cant get out of the water wit your rig you float it not sink it.

Can horse collars with 2 bladders like aquatec be used for technical diving ; below 40 meters.

ditch n don was the best part of the class

Except when you have bad eyesight and you are trying to find your mask in a large heavily chlorinated pool. I thought my eyes were going to melt when I finally surfaced.

Can horse collars with 2 bladders like aquatec be used for technical diving ; below 40 meters.
I have no idea what you refer to as dual bladder horse collars. These were single bladder collars with a CO2 inflator on them.

$_1.JPG

PADI, 1974-we also did the doff and don.

I have no idea what you refer to as dual bladder horse collars. These were single bladder collars with a CO2 inflator on them.

$_1.JPG
I mean this onr with a bladder inflatable by mouth and another with low pressure

$_1.JPG

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-22-03-33-24.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-22-03-33-24.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 45
I mean this onr with a bladder inflatable by mouth and another with low pressure

I can see by you pic you are talking about a collar much more sophisticated than what I used "IN THE DAY"

The first is more like a Mae West which is basicly more of a life preserver and not a BC. They were also made in the same shape as the second one, they just had the tire valve inflator as the first.

The second is a horse collar BC. However I don't see any difference, in the picture, from the BC I used back in the day. For dual bladders I would expect to see a second inflater and exhaust/relief.

Bob

Back in 77 when I was certified we had our masks knocked off and air turned off during our OW check out dives for the Basic Scuba PADI cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom