Question for y'all...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is why we teach student to put them back on and clear!
She is too close. Beside is better IMHO.
Joe

I agree with everyone, when I have a buddy I want them beside me. I dont care about which side but I want to see them or their air column without any problems. If we are going deeper then the space between will be lessened but the general location will be the same. When two or three are diving together then there are two or three seperate dives going on and we need the ability to enjoy our own dive while sightseeing or whatever and as a follower we only see the rear end of someone elses dive....so to speek.
Bill

Besides, if conditions allow. How close exactly would depend on viz.

In the St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes, where the viz is usually pretty good (40-50 feet), we'll be around 4-6 feet from each other.

I would prefer to half my dive buddy on my side, doesn't matter whether it's right or left.

Hate it if my buddy trailing my fins. It goes the same when I'm driving! Sometimes I feel like jamming on the brakes and let the car bang on mine.

Anyway, back to your topic, the reason why I dislike buddy behind me is mainly because it's difficult to know when he is in trouble or not. Should he insist of following be from behind, I would advise him to carry a tank banger or a knife or stuff that can make hell of noise to signal when in trouble.

When we dive, we are in mute land!

Myself carry a tank banger. Useful to signal when in trouble or even spot something interesting and you want your buddy to take a look.

Seen ppl using some sort of bell before. Couldn't find it anywhere in Malaysia. Love to get my hand on one of those...

I was wondering about that. Typically, we do dive side-by-side, but it seemed that when we stopped to look at something on the reef, she end up behind me for maybe a minute. I think this set of dives coming I'm going to let her know at NO point are you going to be behind me, and then yell at me when I get your mask skewed from my fin tips. (She's just lucky I have a soft kick when the water conditions are so perfect!) Either that or go verticle somehow. (Heard it's good bouyancy practive to "stand" on your head and stay at the SAME depth for a bit!)

I'm a solo diver, so if i have a buddy, she's either on shores watching my car or cooking me steak. If my buddy was to go diving with me, then the 30cuft with MK25/S600 is roped around me. Redeundency is the key to safety.

The point of having a buddy is to help you when something goes wrong or if something fails to happen. If your buddy is far from you, then ideally, you're diving solo because you do not have instant access to a safe recovery. If your buddy is diving too close, then s/he's a mistake to happen (i.e.: mask being kicked from you, reg being pulled out of mouth, etc.). It all depends on your comfort level and experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom