Question: Why are divers usually cool people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to divers are cool because:

They're always 'under water', where temps are 'cooler'.

That should satisfy any explanation when inquiring into the 'cool'ness of divers.

I gotta agree with this simultaneous OW & AOW certifications. Does the fact that you get the AOW really make you an 'advanced' diver?

Hardly, gotta earn the title, so to speak.

I dove for two years OW before I went for the AOW.

And now, 10 yrs later, can I confidently call myself 'Advanced'?

No. I'm still learning and learning.

I thought you were only allowed to do 2 training certification dives per day?
Did they change that when they dropped the core night dive?

I can see that divers are getting hung up on certification, that piece of paper is only as good as the diver, I've talked to lots of old timers that would out-dive a lot of divers with a string of certificates behind their names Z

I really like this board, but WHY ARE PEOPLE DISCUSSING COMBINING CLASSES, INSTRUCTOR SHOULD & SHOULDN'TS, AND GENERALLY BEING NITPICKY!

That wasn't the question--the question was why divers are so cool. Take the instructor minutia discussion elsewhere!

This particular link here illustrates my point exactly. Gotta check it out!

http://www.scubaboard.com/t32964/s.html

Thanks!

This particular link here illustrates my point exactly. Gotta check it out!
That post had me rolling.

Why are diver so cool?

I think diverjed spelled it all out for us, hard to stay that 'warm' underwater, not many of us dive in steam baths, do we?

But really folks, take the certs issue elsewhere, don't belong here.

Lemme see your logbook in clearesst detail, and I'll determine if you're advanced or not.

Way to dampen a new divers obvious enthusiasm for the sport.

I am a bit disappointed in some of the posters that managed to do that quite early.

Hopefully Jeremy will continue to visit this forum and LEARN a few things from us instead of everyone pi$$ing all over his cornflakes so early in the morning.

Welcome to the boards Jeremy. Stay a while and learn...take everything with a grain of salt (or two) and I hope that you continue to dive and expand your experiences.

BTW, I think divers are cool because we are like snowcones...we come in all different flavors, colors, and sizes.

It's all good.

I'm actually surprised by the number of people against combining the OW and AOW courses. Come on guys, this stuff isn't rocket science. "Okay, so now we're gonna take your MASK off... and THEN we're gonna put it back ON!" "Okay, hold on instructor, it's gonna take me a couple years to practice!"

As for the comments about my instructor. He mentioned that the combination was possible, but then I had to really pursue him to make it happen. I believe that each is his own advocate when it comes to his education, where it comes from, and at what rate. I'm thrilled that it is possible and I'd recommend it if a person is able and willing to learn. Let me put it this way... I was nowhere close to information overload on my open water weekend.

I think it's important to highlight the difference between training and experience. Of course I'm not an advanced diver yet... I only have 10 dives under my belt. The PADI courses are just a bunch of formal skill exercises that get you a piece of paper. I'm glad to go through the exercises though because it shows that I'm taking it seriously and willing to learn, and it gives me a place to start.

I'll be interested to hear what you all think and perhaps some more specific reasons why you think it's so abhorent to combine the courses.

Over all there are dweebs in every sport. There are those who can and those that can't. I think its the spirit of adventure and wonder that, in my experience seems to prevail with most all the divers I have met. In person, even the most technical people seem to be patient and considerate of those with lesser skills. I have yet to meet a diver who has given me attitude because of my gear or my diving style. As a matter of fact, Those that I have shared the ocean with have all seemed to be educated, intelligent individuals. Some of those people were not the best divers, but were none the less pleasurable to be around. I believe that what makes divers "Cool" is the shared appreciation of beauty that lay under the surface and the thirst to venture out of the safety of dry land for the sake of curiosity. Its that shared agenda that brings on a certain comeraderie. Sure, there are lots of sports that one can do that allows exploration and comeraderie, and perhaps a distant sunset could cause tears of appreciation; but to me I couldn't imagine something better then the thrill of seeing a shark, or hearing the siren song of distant calls of whales?
I would imagine there are others who share my perception; and those that don't.

Back
Top Bottom