Question??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaranger

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a PSD for a large fire department. We have certain criteria to stay curent and profecient as rescue divers. Through out the year we have certain drills and classes that we participate. Some of these are in small lakes or canals and some are in pools.
Our pool drill are not just swim on the bottom for 10 minutes. But extensive drills like blacked out search drills or blacked out of air emergency drills or entaglment drills.
Question: I log all my dives in my personall dive log due to at the end of year I must submit all my dives to include training dives to stay current. If in the future I wish to persue to be a dive instuctor how does like lets say padi or ssi look on my pool dives would they accept it or say no. Is their a certain amount of dives you must do to even consider this path. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Who cares how the Sport agencies look at it, it’s formal team training and should be logged as such. If they don’t like it move on.

If they thumb their noses at PSD training you don’t need to be associated with them.

Just keep logging them. Better to have a Sport Agency PO’ed at you than trying to defend yourself in a courtroom because you didn’t log them.

Gary D.

My understanding is that the agencies prefer open-water dives. For a PADI divemaster it's ~50 dives and I think 100 to start the instructor path. Locally we don't have our own pool but we do have quarries and lakes to do our training in. The best of both worlds if you ignore the muck and broken glass at the bottom. :)

That said, I think if you train as a PSD an agency would be hard pressed to not see the difference in your diving and someone who's only been in balmy clear water. If you want to be an instructor but don't have to do sport, then at least DRI has a PSD instructor certification.

ciao!

leam

Dive Rescue International recognizes ALL public safety diver training dives (including pool dives) when an applicant applies for the Public Safety Scuba Instructor program. I would feel confident that other training agencies would do the same especially since you are simulating open water conditions (limited visibility) in a pool environment.

Training agencies allow basic "pool dives" to be conducted in open water if the conditions simulate "pool like conditions" as it relates to clarity, lack of current, free of hazards, etc.

Couldn't the opposite also apply? I think under these circumstances they would.

I will tell you that the more experience you have in the water, the better you will do in an instructor level program. Before you show up for your instructor class, it is ideal that you have recent time underwater and all your gear is squared away and trouble free.

Best of luck with your instructor training!

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

=========================================

leam:
My understanding is that the agencies prefer open-water dives. For a PADI divemaster it's ~50 dives and I think 100 to start the instructor path. Locally we don't have our own pool but we do have quarries and lakes to do our training in. The best of both worlds if you ignore the muck and broken glass at the bottom. :)

That said, I think if you train as a PSD an agency would be hard pressed to not see the difference in your diving and someone who's only been in balmy clear water. If you want to be an instructor but don't have to do sport, then at least DRI has a PSD instructor certification.

ciao!

leam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom