Questions about a Bonne Terre trip this weekend....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paintballpsyco2369

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I am supposed to be going to Bon Terre Mine this weekend. Never been there, but from what I have heard, it is kind of expensive. The cost of the trip includes transport there and back, 2 nights at the hotel, breakfast both mornings at the hotel, entry and air and everything onsite. Has anyone very been there? If so, how much should I be bringing for other stuff?

On another note, for the people who have been there recently, how are the "trails" that you go on? I know they organize it into little segments you have to advance through numerically before going to the next, so I was just wondering how the first few trails are? Mainly things like depth and such. Thanks, I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Paint

It's been a few months since I've been there last but I can tell you the following;

If your doing 5 dives, and diving a wet suit, you will be freezing by dive five (water is 58 degrees).

In relation to above, at minimum bring a hood and gloves.

Camera's are not allowed on trail 1 but make sure to bring for the next set of trails.

I think the natural order is trails 1,2,4 on day 1 and 3 and another trail on day 2.

Before starting trail 1 you need to perform a mask flood and air share while kneeling on the ground.

Try to stay back a little ways from the rest of the group, you'll find that everyone wants to follow the leader and many masks and regs get kicked around (refer to above).

You can bring a small PC type light but it really isn't needed and can sometimes distract from what the guide is trying to highlight.

There are a few restaurants around and are not very expensive, with what your state is included I would be surprised if you spent more than an additional $100 for the weekend.

The depths are not anywhere near the NDL limits and are safe to dive on 21% (plain 'olé air)

I've only done the first 20 trails but hope to finish up the last 4 by the end of the year. If you decide to keep going they will definitely start to remember your face and are very friendly. I think you'll have lots of fun. Let us know what you think when you get back.

I am not sure of the amount of dives we are planning. There is still a chance the trip will be canceled as there are only 4 of us signed up still lol. I would assume, unless the other 2 (aside from my buddy and myself) are not as experienced that we would probably be doing as many as we possibly can lol. I am still in a toss up between my wetsuit and drysuit. Probably will go dry though (been awhile since I made sure the wet suit still fit lol). Either way, I do not get cold when I dive, Hell I did my first ice dives in my wetsuit around a 2 years or so ago in 14 deg farenheit air with a windchill of -4 lol. I WAS SWEATING! lol. So the temp will honestly not bother me at all. I will bring gloves and a hood of course though.

I would be curious to know why they don't allow cameras on that one lol. I do not have a camera, my buddy does though so I will tell him to bring it.

I have no issues with the reg and mask stuff, I just personally think it to be kind of dumb for a group such as ours. I understand why they want it done, but being cold water divers, we are all used to it. Of course I only speak for 2 of us so... Still easy lol.

Will bring a light for sure, and we will be sure to stay back from the rest of the group lol.

I was planning about $100-$125. I am a cheap sob so will probably just got with $100 and should hopefully be ok. Will keep extra in checking though just in case.

As far as the NDL's go, I was not planning EANx at all, as previously stated I am on the cheap side, rebuilding a Jeep so I need everything I can hold onot for awhile.

I think it will be a good trip. Will know tomorrow or the next day if we are still going or not. I really am hopeing we are. Been looking forward to this for quite awhile. The only good thing if I do not go, the money back from the dive shop is half the lift kit I need for the Jeep. lol

Anyways, thanks for the response. I will be sure to post an update on the trip when we get back. Enjoy your dives there when you go.

Paint

Unless you are really good with your dry suit in less than 30 feet, I would go dry. There is a lot of up and down in the first few trails and you will be surprised how much air you will waste adjusting the suit.

I assume you meant wet instead of dry because of the ups and downs lol.

Anyways, I found out today the trip got canceled sadly. So we are not going now. they may be rescheduling for a time later next year though so hopefully I will still get a chance to go. Thanks for the responses.

Paint

Unless you are really good with your dry suit in less than 30 feet, I would go dry. There is a lot of up and down in the first few trails and you will be surprised how much air you will waste adjusting the suit.

How is that any different from the amount of air you will use adjusting for your buoyancy in a thick wetsuit? Besides, there will be plenty of hoovers in your group, and you will likely exit with more than half a tank anyway.

Tom

Was this set up by a dive shop? Sounds like an interesting trip if the price is not to bad. Keep advised of future trips.

Thanks

Keith

It was through a dive shop yes. If any other good deals come up on a trip, then I will be sure to post it up here if the shop does not mind. I doubt they would, but just to be safe I will ask first. Anyways, thanks for all the help and info everyone.

Paint

what kind of jeep are you lifting and what lift kit are you going to use?

1988 Cherokee Laredo, doing a 4.5" lift. Was going with a Rusty's kit, but shipping was WAY over my budget, as was their kit lol. So now I am thinking either a Rough Country or Zone Offroad kit. The zone kit is made in Michigan so leaning towards that. Still not too sure between the 2 though so... Going to talk to the guy helping me on the project and see what he thinks. Thanks again to all.

Paint

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom