Questions and concerns about Aggressor liveaboards. (First timer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a liveaboard for Roatan in 2024. It looks like the only liveaboards for Roatan is the Aggressor. From what I've read so far has me concerned, at least on the booking side of things. In general how is it on board, is the crew/divemaster professional and do they take care of you? Also, should I book through liveaboards.com or can I book direct with Aggressor? It seems like I'm reading that whom you book through makes a big difference as well. Finally are there any other Roatan options out there? Thanks in advance.

Carefully read the terms and conditions.

They don't recommend travel/trip insurance for no reason.

If everything goes sideways on your trip, refer back to step one.

Aggressor fleet is the largest liveaboard operator in the world. They hire great captains and crew, and they have excellent vessels. With that said, there is always a chance of having a musty smelling cabin, or the shower drain is clogged, or the A/C drips on your bunk. If there is an issue, let the Captain/Engineer know. They are there to prevent you from complaining by fixing your stuff.

Do not try to negotiate the terms and conditions from step 1. Do not change the liability release. Do not lie on the medical. All of those documents are to protect the dive operator and are non-negotiable.

You will have a chef on the boat. If you say you are gluten free, the chef will prepare gluten free meals for you. Do not rile the chef by having the brownies after the night dive. It will be noticed by the crew and they will gossip about you behind your back. They won't be discreet and they don't care if you know or hear them. They bent over backwards to accommodate you and you just crapped in their fruit-loops.

The crew on an aggressor will take care of you as much as you need or desire. One DM will be in the water for about 45 minutes on every dive. You may stick with the DM or you and your buddy may go off on your own. The guide is coming back early to help you board and fill your cylinders. You may choose to return to the vessel with the guide.

You must bring a buddy or one will be assigned. An assigned buddy may not be to your (either of your) liking.

As far as liveaboard.com or booking directly, Aggressor has a reputation of not talking to the customer aside from taking your money, providing needed information, and hassling you when signed documents aren't returned on time. If your trip does go sideways, you will have no communications and no recourse. At least using a booking agent, you're paying them to be nice to you, advocate for you, and someone to get you out of the weeds if revolution happens while you're offshore. A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold when you need them.

Finally are there any other Roatan options out there?
I would never bother with a liveaboard in Roatan. I'd do Coco-View or AKR every time.

I've been on all the Aggressor boats in the Caribbean and several in other parts of the world and the diving off the Roatan boat was the least impressive. In all fairness, it might have been wind conditions that kept us close to shore on the leeward side of the island most of the time, but that's mostly where we stayed. (I came home from that trip with a nasty ear infection.) The only sharks we saw were at a feeding site, and fish life in general was scant. I would seriously consider Belize or T&C instead. I've always booked with them directly through their web site without issue. I travel solo and have never had a buddy formally assigned to me. I usually just follow along in the group with the DM. There were a couple of quirks with the Roatan crew which got straightened out after a day or two, due to me missing the first day's briefings after a flight delay. (I was not happy when they tried to take my fins off at the boarding ladder!) All in all, it's the one Aggressor boat which I do not plan on revisiting.

In all fairness, it might have been wind conditions that kept us close to shore on the leeward side of the island most of the time, but that's where we stayed.
^^This^^
Dived this boat spring 2021 (mainly because it was easily doable post-Covid). Good boat, good crew. We had light winds, so we were able to dive the sea mounts near Cayo Cochinos and Utila (couldn't disembark on Utila due to Covid restrictions at the time). These were excellent sites rarely dived by resort day-boats. My only reservation would be that the itinerary is very wind dependent and if the winds are up, you'll get the results described by @rongoodman . Silver lining...no sand fleas. :)

I have been diving with Aggressor since 2010 and never looked back. I have been on 26 charters with them and in two weeks heading back to the Turks and Caicos Aggressor. Have been on the Roatan Aggressor twice. Great crew, no issues. The marine life in normally in the macro range with some exception. If you are looking for large fish/sharks this might not be the place for you. As far as conditions, it depends on when you are traveling. Roatan has both a wet and dry seasons.

You might look at Turks or BVI on the Aggressor if you want larger sea life.

I would recommending booking with Aggressor.

I did one trip with Aggressor in the Red Sea several years ago. Very happy with communications and support. I would not hesitate to book with them. But as noted by @Wookie, comprehensive insurance extremely important given what we have learned coming out of COVID.

Lastly, you will want to do some research on what to pack for a LOB. Lots of threads on this.

Lots of good info upthread. Liveaboards are a weird subset of the diving world and should be treated with a fair bit of caution, but @Wookie covered all the important stuff. I was on the Cayman Aggressor 2 weeks ago and am on the Cocos Aggressor in a couple months so despite all the warnings and bad anecdotes there are a lot of us that use them and have no issues. Like @rongoodman I usually travel alone and have no problems either buddying up with people on board or with the DMs/instructors depending. I book through a travel guy that specializes in dive travel rather than liveaboard.com or Aggressor direct. I find I can get better pricing that way and actually have someone that can advocate on my behalf if things go wrong.

We went into liveaboard diving with some hesitation. We don't really like vacationing in "groups". Hence, we don't do cruises, etc. However, we took a chance on Aggressor when they were running a REALLY good deal to Turks and Caicos. We LOVED it! Besides the really good diving, it was a great boat, great crew and the food was exceptional. We booked directly. Keep in mind you will pay a flat rate for Nitrox and a fuel surcharge. We'd go again for sure.

You will have a chef on the boat. If you say you are gluten free, the chef will prepare gluten free meals for you. Do not rile the chef by having the brownies after the night dive. It will be noticed by the crew and they will gossip about you behind your back.
I am quite curious- is this from your personal experience eating the brownie or was this someone on your boat?

I am quite curious- is this from your personal experience eating the brownie or was this someone on your boat?
Many many many on my boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom