Questions and concerns about Aggressor liveaboards. (First timer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many many many on my boat.
I have captained multiple liveaboards aside from mine.

It's ubiquitous in the industry

Okay, I don't get it - do you mean "Don't tell the chef you're gluten-free and then eat the brownies anyway", or is there a reason not to eat the brownies after the night dive?

<--Never been on a liveaboard

Okay, I don't get it - do you mean "Don't tell the chef you're gluten-free and then eat the brownies anyway", or is there a reason not to eat the brownies after the night dive?

I think he means you'll look like a schmuck if you asked the chef to make a special dietary accommodation for you for the week and then he finds out you are eating gluten anyway. It's a tiny kitchen to cook for that many people and space is tight anyway for the non-GF ingredients so asking them to keep your food separate, stock special GF ingredients and have to plan all those special meals for you separate from the other passengers is no small feat for a LOB chef and sous.

Here's a pic of the Cayman Aggressor galley to give you an idea of what they are working with to cook for passengers and crew.

20230525_175250.jpg

Don't tell the chef you're gluten-free and then eat the brownies anyway

^^^This

As a single diver I like the liveaboards mainly because I can always be buddied up. I used Liveaboard.com several times. Nice agents, no problems. If you book directly with Aggressor, you can pick your cabin and choose if you want top or bottom bunk. Of course, cabin or bed choices depend on if it's already occupied. Aggressor has a protocol that their crew adheres to. Professionalism, safety, and attention to the divers. So, wherever you go, you can pretty well expect the same on-board experience. I've made some great friends, shared stories, pics, personal gear reviews, etc. As a solo traveler, I would never have traveled to the far-off countries to dive if there wasn't liveaboards, especially Aggressor's, since I know what to expect. Tip well, because they work their butts off to keep you safe and happy.

I've got a negative slant towards liveaboard companies due to some bad behavior during COVID. Though I haven't been on an Aggressor boat, from what I've read, I won't book on their boats. The Aggressor is a corporate name only; all the boats are owned by franchisees, so the standards of maintenance and general experience vary widely. IMO, Roatan is a waste for a liveaboard. The boat dives in the same area as the land-based resorts, so why bother?

As mentioned by others, read the terms and conditions and make sure you're okay with them. They are written in favor of the operator and not the customer and should an issue arise with a refund, you probably won't get your money back. Get travel and dive insurance to offset potential losses.

Edit: Safety has been a big concern with liveaboards in the last few years. The Conception fire in 2019, boats running aground and sinking, another boat caught fire in the Red Sea today...this is happening way too often. Ask a ton of questions directly of the operator, not a third party, like Liveaboard.com, about their safety record, certifications, licenses, insurance, experience of the crew, safety drills, maintenance, where are the exit hatches and DO THEY WORK. If you don't get prompt and concise answers, think twice about booking.

Have a waterproof "go" bag by your bedside and know where your lifejacket is located in your room.

I've been on the Roatan Aggressor twice (pre covid). I have not been on any other live aboard to compare.

Both experiences were very similar, and excellent.

Boat: was in great shape. There was a grey water flood on the first trip, but they got it sorted out pronto.
Cabins: Dark, must free, and COLD. Tight quarters so keep that in mind with storage. I slept with some of my clothes. I never really used the bathroom on either trip. I would use the bathroom off the dive area and showered off the back of the boat.
Crew: great! Lots of locals on the payroll, and the chef was outstanding! The DM's were present, but not overly present.
Dive area: Spacious and you get a spot dedicated to you for the entire week. You only setup gear at the beginning and after the dive, just pull off the first stage and they will refill you in place.
Food: Delicious and plentiful! I loved how they always had a hot bowl of scratch made soups every day waiting for you when you finished the final morning dive.

I'd go back a third time unless I could do it cheaper at Coco or AK. I always got great deals when I booked.

It's worth noting that I'm not one to want to hit every restaurant, or do much land based site seeing. I also do every dive offered. So a live aboard is ideal for my wishes. If you like to do things off boat, or find yourself spending more time chilling on the boat versus diving, maybe a live aboard isn't the move.

If you go to Roatan, I recommend a land-based resort. I stayed at Anthony's Key Resort last year and was not impressed with the marine life. It's really fished out, so it's not a place I will return. AKR is a great resort, though, and they have a well-run dive operation. The sand fleas and mosquitoes are brutal, the worst I've ever experienced in the Caribbean.

I poked around a little bit to give you some historical information about the Aggressor brand and other liveaboard operations, so here's some articles, mostly from SB members.

Hello!
I will be on the Roatan Aggressor in Sept. 2023. I have been on California liveaboards before which have bunk like accommodations so not expecting this one to "blow my mind" in terms of the boat conditions. I booked through liveaboard.com which had the same deal going with Aggressor directly.

Will report back my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom