Questions and concerns about Aggressor liveaboards. (First timer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived on the Roatan Aggressor in November, 2022 after a frustrating couple years trying to get money back from the Cayman Aggressor after a couple Covid cancellations. I was only able to get the money transferred elsewhere when the Cayman Aggressor went out of business.

I booked the Cayman Aggressor soon after the Conception and Red Sea Aggressor boat fires, and my wife and I paid extra for a room above decks for easy exit in case of emergency. The Roatan Aggressor does not have such a room, and we were instead put in what they said was their premier cabin--in the ship bow. That was a joke. It was the most uncomfortable cabin in design, and it bounced in any kind of wave action. It was the farthest from the exit. No refund on our extra payment for the Cayman premium cabin.

In terms of fire safety, they had a dedicated night watchman, and I assume he did his job.

In all fairness, it might have been wind conditions that kept us close to shore on the leeward side of the island most of the time, but that's mostly where we stayed.
Same here, except for a day in Utila. It rained every day our week, as it had the week before when we were land-based. Don't go that time of the year. Absolutely.

We were on the island at Cocoview Resort the week before, and we did many of the same sites with Aggressor that we had done with Cocoview. The DM-led ones with the Aggressor were done much better. (If you find my thread on my experience that week, you will see my frustration with the Cocoview dives.)

They put a DM in the water, sometimes two, on every dive. (They use yellow tanks.) At first pretty much everyone followed along, but my friends and I did not like the crowds, and we started going off on our own for most dives. By the last couple of days, most of the others were following us instead of the DM.

My wife is a snorkeler only, and they just had her stay in sight of the boat and have a big life vest attached for visibility. No problem.

The food was very good, and it was plentiful. They served wine with the evening meals, and there was no apparent limit. (Of course, no one tested that.)

The air conditioning was set at a very low temperature, even though several people asked if it could be warmer, especially since we were facing daily wind and rain. I could not get my core warm between dives, and I was too cold to do the last dives. They have a mini hot tub on the deck, and at times it seemed like the entire customer base was trying to get in to get warm.

The staff was generally very friendly, and we had a good time.

This was the last stages of Covid, and there was some confusion as to whether we needed to have a new Covid test in order to get on the boat. The Aggressor paperwork said we didn't. We were staying at the Cocoview Resort on the island, though, and they told us we absolutely did need it. They said all their guests who went onto the Aggressor had to have them. We sent an email to Aggressor headquarters, and they said we didn't need one. Cocoview insisted that it did not matter what the people in New York said--what mattered was what the people on the boat said, and they said it was not possible to reach the boat to ask. They said, though, that someone on their staff had a relative on the Aggressor staff, and he had just assured them the night before that a test was absolutely necessary. So we got (and paid for) a test from the Cocoview staff--better safe than sorry.

When we got on the boat, no test was required or even mentioned. When we told the Aggressor staff what had happened, they were furious. They said no one on the boat had been asked, no one had a relative working at Cocoview, and Cocoview had their cell phone number. They contacted Cocoview and got us a refund, so kudos for that.

I have been on 26 Aggressor charters, Turks and Caicos, Roatan, Southern Red Sea, Palau, Cayman, Belize, Bahamas. Have all of the trips been perfect, no, but the crews have always done their best to make the best trip possible. The front office has had it’s problem, and the travel section is not been great.

I am again on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor next week. Looking forward to a great trip along with the Mike and Mike photo school.

Sorry, late to this discussion. I've been on Belize Aggressor II and Roatan Aggressor, both pre-COVID and am booked on T&C Aggressor in August. I agree with most of the above, so won't restate, but I made my reservations through PADI Travel. You get the same prices as booking direct, but they give you DAN dive insurance for free if your invoice is above $2,500 (as most are). One recommendation is to do your research, including using aggressor.com to check out which cabin/bunk you want. Many are bunk beds and the bottom bunk is both easier and larger. :)

First timer on a liveaboard as well (have a trip booked on the Aggressor Bahamas on Aug-26).
Anything you can share that you wished you had known before making that trip? Any special gear I should bring with me (like hangers)?

I bring clips to hang my rash guards & swim shorts on hand rails or line hangers between dives. Also bring 3 sets of rash guards & swim shorts and rotate in wearing them, so I’d always wear dry rash guard & swim shorts before and after every dive. After 3-4 days of diving 3-4 times / day, my core body temperature drop, so having dry clothes before & after diving, keeps me from getting cold.

IMG_1693.jpeg

Anything you can share that you wished you had known before making that trip? Any special gear I should bring with me (like hangers)?
Lycra socks to prevent your boots from chafing blisters on your feet. I buy 'swimmer's ear' drops and take along to use preventatively about every 2 to 4 dives (if you want till you get swimmer's ear, the drops burn!). Take band aides to wrap around toes to cover chafed areas that develop. I like triple antibiotic ointment (e.g.: Neosporin) for cuts to keep moist, fight infection and hopefully speed healing. I'm one of those people who tolerates 24-hour Sudafed well, and need it to help my ears clear...I also use Claritin and Flonase. I like to have Ibuprofen on hand. Over-the-counter generics of Imodium and tablets that work like Pepto-Bismol can be nice to have.

Remember - pack lightly, but if it's not on the boat, it's not on the boat.

I'm really appreciating everyone's various replies and wisdom here - we were just on the Roatan Aggressor this past Sept. (2023) and it was marvelous. We were lucky to have calm waters and therefore made it out to Utila/Cayos Cochinos for some dives, and for the most part the water was pretty clear (very very warm, which was alarming!)

I think everyone has had good/bad experiences and we tend to post more frequently about the bad ones, unfortunately, but I wanted to throw out a big "thumb's up" for the Roatan Aggressor - great crew, food, dives, and a wonderful time.

Can you recommend a good comprehensive travel insurance that will cover liveaboards?
Dive Assure has a good liveaboard add-on. I remember DAN was too simplistic and at the same time did not bother looking into their policy that much. Although I am told most dive operators use DAN on the business end of things.

First timer on a liveaboard as well (have a trip booked on the Aggressor Bahamas on Aug-26).
The most innovative item that got a few appreciative nods was a pop up hammock tied to two rails. Perfect for in betweens, sea sickness at crossing and foldable practicality :)

Depending on the closet in the cabin, you might fold and put in drawer-like storage. Maybe some luggage space under the bed. You can hang your clothes outside tethered to dry or ask them to throw it in the dryer at the end of the day.

Dive Assure has a good liveaboard add-on. I remember DAN was too simplistic and at the same time did not bother looking into their policy that much. Although I am told most dive operators use DAN on the business end of things.

The most innovative item that got a few appreciative nods was a pop up hammock tied to two rails. Perfect for in betweens, sea sickness at crossing and foldable practicality :)

Depending on the closet in the cabin, you might fold and put in drawer-like storage. Maybe some luggage space under the bed. You can hang your clothes outside tethered to dry or ask them to throw it in the dryer at the end of the day.
What, pray tell, is a 'pop-up' hammock? I'd love to bring one of these if I knew what it was!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom