Questions for Provo Vets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LWith58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I have planned a trip to Provo for early November and my parents are coming along with my wife and I. My mother tends to be a nervous Nellie about traveling and is already concerned about this that and the other, once she gets to the destination she’s fine. I can usually answer most of her questions or concerns but in this case, since I have not been to Provo before, I need a little help/information.

Can any of you Provo vets tell me what we can expect of the International Airport (PLS)?

Are there any special departure/check-in procedures or tips we should know about? Are the check-in and departure waiting areas air-conditioned? Are there any restaurants and/or shops in the departure waiting area to keep one entertained while waiting?

What is the best way to get to our resort (the Alexandra)? Take a cab? Rent a car or something else? We are planning to rent a car but I was thinking of doing that after we get to the resort because I’m thinking we will probably have more luggage, with the gear and all, than a car can take.

Info on any of this will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Hey Lee! Been going to Provo for many years now and hope I can help. Bewfore you land you will be given two cards to fill out one is for customs and one for immigration. Fill them out carefully and completely to avoid delay when you land. Make sure to keep the immigration form for your return flight or you have to pay a penalty. The airport at PLS is small but has been updated quite a bit in the past few years. There is only one strip at the airport. You will deplane in front of the terminal on a roll-away stair and walk accross the tarmac to the terminal. You will then be in a line for immigration. This line is slow but that portion of the terminal is AC. If you can grab seats towards the front of the plane it will cut your wait considerably. When you get through immigration the baggage claim area is right in front of you. Grab a local skycap to help with the luggage. They will grab it and cart it for you. If you use a skycap I can almost guarantee that you will not get stopped at customs which is the last stop. After you clear customs there are two car rental places right in front of you. They are Avis and I think Hertz. You can rent a car right there. We usually split our group at this point. I take my carry-on and dive gear and rent the car and send the familt on in a taxi van to the resort. This cuts my stress and theirs too! If you want to rent a car after you get to the resort the concierge desk can probably arrange it for you and the car will be delivered. You can also call one of the local companies direct and arrange your own car to be delivered (save a few bucks). Check out: http://tcimall.tc/autos/index.htm I have probably used most of them at one time or another and they are all about the same. Check out the car carefully (ie: drive it) before you rent. Some of them have minor flaws like no AC that can be a real pain after you drive away. The departure area has four or five duty free/gift shops and a bar for your convenience. It is small, hot and crowded. Bring a book and water. Do not go with a hangover. If you have small children make sure they have something to occupy them for a couple hours. The lines for TSA and baggage are long and tedious. Planning is key. Get there early and check your bags and then leave the terminal for a little while before you go back to go through TSA. That departure lobby can be hell and we usually avoid it for as long as possible. Good luck! If you are diving I highly recommend Caicos Adventures. Best on the island. Tell Fifi I said hello.

Agree with all, and would add that the roads, with exception of Leeward Hwy, are often very rocky and have many potholes. Be careful. Avis rents on island, and with the internet got a 4 door compact for $235 for the week. My car had 210 miles on it, and most seemed new. John

Thanks for your responses, lots of good info and ideas there!

Hey Tim,

We already have our diving booked with Caicos Adventures, I’ll be sure to tell Fifi you said hello.

In particular, I like your idea to check your bags and leave the terminal, where would you go to pass the time?

So, is there no AC in the departure waiting area? You mention that it is “small, hot and crowded”, is it hot because it is small and crowded? Is the area indoors?

Thanks,
Lee

It's indoors and has AC but once it gets crowded it gets hot. I wouldn't go far. We usually sit ouside the terminal and soak up some rays for a while until the line goes down for TSA and then go in. The trade off is that the departure lounge is crowded and finding seats for a large group could be a pain. We have camped on the floor before just to stay together.

Back
Top Bottom