Questions regarding some steel 100s.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The op said they were E series so if that is true then they could be only from 2004 at the most right? Steel tanks barely past their first hydro for $100 bucks that sounds like a great deal.

I had a twin set of 38's 1800 psi from 1942 and 1943, they passed hydro no problem.
I have a couple old 72's from 1959 and 1960 they passed with flying colors.
I also have 72's from '67 up through '80 and they pass every time.
I have never had a steel tank fail hydro.

I can't say that about some of my older AL80's, which are long gone.

Aluminum tanks are worth more made into beer cans, as far as I'm concerned. At least then I'll use them.
Actually Steel tanks 30 yrs old are still kids. Two of my LP 72's are from 53 and 57 respectively. So both are officially senior citizens. And both just passed hydro. Again.

The PST E series have an 'issue' with hydros, there is some sort of 'pre stretch' procedure the hydro facility must perform before subjecting the tanks to the 'real' hydro test, otherwise there is a good chance the tanks will fail hydro. There are numerous old threads on this issue. If possible, locate a 'tech' oriented dive shop (tech shops are used to dealing with steel tanks) as they will know which hydro test facilities have a ckue about the proper test procedures on these tanks.

PST = Pre Stretch the Tank?

Thanks for the info. I hope they do pass inspection. They would allow me to dive a lot more often which makes me really excited.

I need to find a dive buddy locally in Northern Iowa as my wife is pregnant and unable to dive with me.

The PST E series have an 'issue' with hydros, there is some sort of 'pre stretch' procedure the hydro facility must perform before subjecting the tanks to the 'real' hydro test, otherwise there is a good chance the tanks will fail hydro. There are numerous old threads on this issue. If possible, locate a 'tech' oriented dive shop (tech shops are used to dealing with steel tanks) as they will know which hydro test facilities have a ckue about the proper test procedures on these tanks.

I believe the need for performng the rounding procedure is common to most hot dipped galvanized cylinders. I agree that it's agood idea to make sure the shop is on top of their game. Some divers present the cylinders with a copy of the procedure attached just to make sure.

Pete

Well the shop got back to me today. The tank looked visually good and they were taking it for a VIP tomorrow. I mentioned the VIP procedure and he said the hydro place was aware and should be fine. Thanks for the input I am excited for my purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Back
Top Bottom