Quickest way to get to hotel from airport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosshogg357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've ridden in the white vans with others and I have walked off the airport's property to grab a cab. I read somewhere that you can get a private bus to take you to your hotel. Is that true? If so, what is the cost difference between the group buses and a private one? I'm wondering what the experienced folks do? Thanks for any advice. B

We've taken the "white van" and we've taken a taxi. Never a bus. For us it all depends on how hot it is outside and whether or not we're in a hurry.

The bus may be cheaper but if your sweating or in a hurry a few buck's doesn't matter a lot.

bosshogg357:
I've ridden in the white vans with others and I have walked off the airport's property to grab a cab. I read somewhere that you can get a private bus to take you to your hotel. Is that true? If so, what is the cost difference between the group buses and a private one? I'm wondering what the experienced folks do? Thanks for any advice. B

I always take the shuttle. I'm already on island time when I get there and I'm going to be there for two weeks; saving ten minutes is not high on my agenda. Some folks hike for a cab; to each his own. There are car rental places at the airport. If you have a friend on the island, they could probably pick you up.

Those are the only ways to do it that I know of. The far south resorts might have their own private buses, though; maybe that's what you heard about.

bosshogg357:

You have only three choices:
  1. Shuttle Vans
  2. Walk off property and hope a taxi happens to come by quickly
  3. Rent a car

Taxi's are NOT queued up outside the airport, it is ILLEGAL for them to do so...which I've always known and recently confirmed with the taxi base. So, it would be a matter of timing for you. You could get lucky and one may be driving by about the same time you are coming off airport property or you could end up waiting 10 to 20 minutes as you watch the white shuttle vans leave without you.

It's a personal preference as to what's more important to you...but it's not a race and everyone is in the same boat.

I WILL warn you about the "Tourist Advisory" guys in the airport. They ARE NOT there to "help" you. They are time share salesmen, period. If not interested in sitting through a timeshare presentation then say no thanks or ignore them. you do not need them to get a rental car or a shuttle ticket.

Have fun and good luck!

ggunn:
Those are the only ways to do it that I know of. The far south resorts might have their own private buses, though; maybe that's what you heard about.

Those are for personnel only...not for guests. Again...taxi union control!

Christi:
Those are for personnel only...not for guests. Again...taxi union control!

Will you be there in May? I'll be there 5/5-19.

If you'll be there then, I'll be in touch when the time gets close to inquire if there are any little pieces of Texas I can bring you.

Don, I meant "white van" when I said bus. Oops! (haha) Anybody know how long I'm looking at as far the van ride is concerned if I'm staying at Casa del Mar? My girlfriend met me down there when we were staying at the Caribe Blu and she rode the van for a long time.
B

Don Janni:
We've taken the "white van" and we've taken a taxi. Never a bus. For us it all depends on how hot it is outside and whether or not we're in a hurry.

The bus may be cheaper but if your sweating or in a hurry a few buck's doesn't matter a lot.

bosshogg357:
Don, I meant "white van" when I said bus. Oops! (haha) Anybody know how long I'm looking at as far the van ride is concerned if I'm staying at Casa del Mar? My girlfriend met me down there when we were staying at the Caribe Blu and she rode the van for a long time.
B

Depends on how many stops they have before you. The Casa del Mar is onlly about 15 minues from the airport. They load the vans based on where you are staying and how many people at each hotel. I can't imagine you being in the van for more than 30 minutes if they had to stop at a couple of hotels before you.

bosshogg357:
B

I make that trip once or twice a year. The shuttle ride isn't long at all to Caribe Blu, even if it includes stops at other hotels along the way. I don't think it's ever been more than 15-20 minutes. Caribe Blu is a couple of miles (or is it kilometers?) south of town, and Casa del Mar is a bit farther, but not by much.

The flight we come in on lands at about 11:30, and even with immigration, customs, baggage retrieval, and dealing with the shuttle, we are checked into the hotel by 12:30 or 1. Of course, that's an estimate, because I remove my watch as soon as we take off from Houston.

Thanks to you all for the good info. I just get so darn excited when it comes to Cozumel & Diving! (haha). Any minute I'm not diving is one heck of a long minute!
B

ggunn:
I make that trip once or twice a year. The shuttle ride isn't long at all to Caribe Blu, even if it includes stops at other hotels along the way. I don't think it's ever been more than 15-20 minutes. Caribe Blu is a couple of miles (or is it kilometers?) south of town, and Casa del Mar is a bit farther, but not by much.

The flight we come in on lands at about 11:30, and even with immigration, customs, baggage retrieval, and dealing with the shuttle, we are checked into the hotel by 12:30 or 1. Of course, that's an estimate, because I remove my watch as soon as we take off from Houston.

Back
Top Bottom