RA Homestay Checklist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whatacoolfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I leave for a 2 week homestay RA dive trip in 2 weeks and I’m sure I’m forgetting to pack something. Most of the time I’ll be staying and diving with Corepen Homestay. I travel super light, only have my own mask/snorkel, dive computer and GoPro as far as equipment goes. Any pointers on things to bring or plan for while I’m in the area would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Mossie coil and repellent.
I've stayed in Corepen for 3 weeks in total. I can't recall seeing mosquitos!! I also did a one week long safari last January (moving from home stay to home stay between Mansuar, Arborek, Fam, Waigeo). Again very few mosquitos. I don't know ,maybe it's the season (always December or January for me).

To the OP:
Other than few clothes/swimsuit/toileteries/medicines you might need, there is not much.
- If you get hungry easily you'd better have some snacks with you as there are no shops around. Usually food is delicious and more than enough, but you never know.
- Also you'd better bring some soap/shampoo, although usually there are some left/forgoten there from previous travelers. There is no need to bring toilet paper.
- Some rain/water protection for yourself (puncho or something) and your bags (plastic cover?). You will have a half an hour long boat trip from Waisai to the homestay in a boat that has no protection from the rain whatsoever.
- Generally you won't need cash (they accept credit cards). Only exceptions are for tips and/or if you want to buy something from small local shops (assuming you move to other areas/villages - eg Arborek).

Enjoy your stay

I've stayed in Corepen for 3 weeks in total. I can't recall seeing mosquitos!! I also did a one week long safari last January (moving from home stay to home stay between Mansuar, Arborek, Fam, Waigeo). Again very few mosquitos. I don't know ,maybe it's the season (always December or January for me).

To the OP:
Other than few clothes/swimsuit/toileteries/medicines you might need, there is not much.
- If you get hungry easily you'd better have some snacks with you as there are no shops around. Usually food is delicious and more than enough, but you never know.
- Also you'd better bring some soap/shampoo, although usually there are some left/forgoten there from previous travelers. There is no need to bring toilet paper.
- Some rain/water protection for yourself (puncho or something) and your bags (plastic cover?). You will have a half an hour long boat trip from Waisai to the homestay in a boat that has no protection from the rain whatsoever.
- Generally you won't need cash (they accept credit cards). Only exceptions are for tips and/or if you want to buy something from small local shops (assuming you move to other areas/villages - eg Arborek).

Enjoy your stay
Thanks so much! What was the cell/data coverage like at Corepen?

Thanks so much! What was the cell/data coverage like at Corepen?
Homestay's connection was ok-ish most of the time for basic stuff (browsing, emails etc). It's a single mobile data line, shared among all visitors so you'd better get your own if you need anything more. Get a Telkomsel (the only available mobile data operator in RA area) prepaid card. Sorong airport is the easiest place to get it. With few dolars you will get several GB usage. Coverage was quite good around Corepen last time I was there (precovid).

Homestay's connection was ok-ish most of the time for basic stuff (browsing, emails etc). It's a single mobile data line, shared among all visitors so you'd better get your own if you need anything more. Get a Telkomsel (the only available mobile data operator in RA area) prepaid card. Sorong airport is the easiest place to get it. With few dolars you will get several GB usage. Coverage was quite good around Corepen last time I was there (precovid).
Will I need to bring my own torch for night dives?

Will I need to bring my own torch for night dives?
You'd better do. They should have a couple for guests, but you never know.

Our homestay power cut out after 10ish and we were very jealous of the couple who had battery operated fan.
We also bought the gadget that supposedly makes mosquito bites better through application of heat. Not tested yet.
I took Theracell (rechargeable version, not the butane one) and felt it made a difference, though my husband may disagree.

Back
Top Bottom