RA Homestay Checklist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What did you think of the various homestays and dive ops? I'm looking at Raja in July 2024 and want to split 3 weeks at different places.

3 weeks are indeed quite some time. Lucky you.

I have stayed up to 2 weeks at a time in Gam (single homestay - no moving around) diving the usual spots around Kri (Blue Magic, Cape Kri, etc) and I didn't get borred. That's where most of the dive sites are located, so out of the 3 weeks I would spend there the most (maybe 2 weeks).

Then I would move to Arborek for mantas (manta sandi, manta ridje, jeti etc) and from there I would try to arrange a day or 2 for diving trip towards Piaynemo for Melissa's garden etc. These sites are not to be missed but they are far away and there are no diving operators near them. So only possibility to dive them is to arrange with your dive operator/homestay day trips. On top of the usual dive cost you will have to cover all extra costs (fuel etc - split among all the divers) which can be quite a bit - but I think it worths it.
The problem is to find an operator and fellow divers willing to do it.

All the best

100% agree with above except in July you probably won't have mantas, so you may want to go further West, perhaps Lagoon Homestay (never stayed there but the island is gorgeous, and near Melissa's Garden which I could dive/snorkel over and over)

July you probably won't have mantas
Sorry I missed that detail. All my visits to the area have been around November to January and Mantas were (almost) always there.
so you may want to go further West, perhaps Lagoon Homestay (never stayed there but the island is gorgeous, and near Melissa's Garden which I could dive/snorkel over and over)
There are homestays near there indeed (I've stayed one night in Piaynemo Homestay as part of a dive Safari I did - see below - and it was very nice place) but do they do diving? There are very few visitors reaching t that far (other than day trips from more central locations) and the cost of keeping a decent dive op should be huge.

So I think, if diving is a must, the option (other than LoBs) is day trips from "central" homestays.

Another option is what I did last January. A so called dive safari offered by Scuba Republic (and maybe other ops). The idea is to get equipment (including a compressor, tanks, clothes, snacks etc) on a boat. Stay overnight in different homestays and during the day dive and move to different areas/homestay. We did that for 5-6 nights and covered all the highlights. I've always wanted to write a review, but keep postponing it. Overal it was good that I managed to dive the remote sites, but it was quite tiring as the boat was not really fit for the purpose. July I think is supposed to have even rougher seas so I wouldn't recommend it with that boat.

Lagoon homestay has a small dive op, but the last review on StayRaja, which i just read now, says people got C02 poisoning during their dives with them :gulp :(

I like the idea posted by Stepfen, especially for first time Raja goers, or spending 2 weeks on Kri, 1 week on Aborek. I was thinking the same for my next trip out but I would be lucky to get 2 weeks, nevermind 3.

Thanks, I'll stick to the more reputable shops. One week with Soul Scuba and one with either Arborek or Corepen (any experience with them?). First trip to Raja and first time back to Indo since before covid, might have to splurge for a week at Raja4divers or Cove Eco too.

One week with Soul Scuba and one with either Arborek or Corepen (any experience with them?)
I've stayed with Corepen 3 weeks in total. For the homestay, you can find better ones (eg in terms of how nice the location is), but for diving I can't think of anything more (within reason) to ask from a homestay dive op in Raja Ampat.

Back
Top Bottom