Rage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun:
Okay so I can't spell :06:

My morning commute reminds me everyday that I am mortal. I just don't want to let fear hold me prisoner either. I hope to find the balance between adventure and safety...if that can be done.
I hope I will always remember how much I don't know.
The spelling didn't cross my mind until you mentioned something to be honest. I was trying to correct nothing there, LOL. I was highlighting the phrase to say that while I am definitely heading the direction that you read about, I am trying not be in a hurry to do it. Those books are a reason for forcing myself to slow down. There is a lot of experience that I need to pick up yet. I have seen too many tech divers with less than 100 dives under their belt that seem to think that they know everything. That is indeed a problem with those kind of dives. All good messages bear repeating once in a while and the one that "arrogance can kill" is a good one.

Have fun,

Brian

diverbrian:
All good messages bear repeating once in a while and the one that "arrogance can kill" is a good one.

Have fun,

Brian

That is very true and not just in diving. You don't seem arrogant, at least not when it comes to diving, can't vouch for the rest :wink:

I can't imagine I'll be going any deeper before next summer for several reasons: #1 I'm a whimp when it comes to cold, #2 I only have 85 dives (so if I keep up my current pace I will have 200 by next July), #3 I need to finsh my rescue course in December, #4 Need to work some extra shifts to pay for the new toys, #5 Hopefully by then it will "feel" right and then I will know it is time.

BTW love the adaptation of the Dirty Harry line.

saying:
So this weekend is the last that the quarry is open for the season...

and I forgot, up until about 10 minutes ago, that my idiot coworker is going out of town for the weekend, which means I'm on call this weekend. So no diving for me.

I hate that guy.

I need suggestions (affordable ones) for the long, dark, dry days ahead.
What about HERE ?

saying:
So this weekend is the last that the quarry is open for the season...

and I forgot, up until about 10 minutes ago, that my idiot coworker is going out of town for the weekend, which means I'm on call this weekend. So no diving for me.

I hate that guy.

I need suggestions (affordable ones) for the long, dark, dry days ahead.

In order of affordability:
Mount Storm
Lake Rawlings
Morehead City
Dulles Airport

Don Burke:
In order of affordability:
Mount Storm
Lake Rawlings
Morehead City
Dulles Airport

Dulles? Is there a dive site near the airport?

DP

down4fun:
That is very true and not just in diving. You don't seem arrogant, at least not when it comes to diving, can't vouch for the rest :wink:

I can't imagine I'll be going any deeper before next summer for several reasons: #1 I'm a whimp when it comes to cold, #2 I only have 85 dives (so if I keep up my current pace I will have 200 by next July), #3 I need to finsh my rescue course in December, #4 Need to work some extra shifts to pay for the new toys, #5 Hopefully by then it will "feel" right and then I will know it is time.

BTW love the adaptation of the Dirty Harry line.
... does she?

Actually, I guess that I am not considered too bad most of the time. But one time of overestimating my abilities is all that it takes.

As to your reasons...

1.) There is no such thing as a wimp for cold. I dive 75-85 degree water with a three mil and core warmer. I get laughed at a little for that much exposure protection, but darn it, I get cold! I dove Brockville at 70 degrees in a drysuit. I dress for the cold water, but I am not any more macho because I dive in 38-40 degrees. I am just prepared for it.

2) When you see something deep that is worth diving to, that is when you dive deep. You don't dive deep "just because it is there". I have a dive buddy in Hollywood, FL that routinely stays shallow. She is probably a better diver than I am.

3) Enjoy the rescue course, LOL.

4) I am single with no children (unless you count two dogs and cat). Money for toys is available as long I am careful. LOL

5) See reason number two.

Enjoy your diving! That wasn't a whole lot of creativity on my part, but it gets the point across and reminds me about doing stupid things.

diverbrian:
As to your reasons...

1.) There is no such thing as a wimp for cold. I dive 75-85 degree water with a three mil and core warmer. I get laughed at a little for that much exposure protection, but darn it, I get cold! I dove Brockville at 70 degrees in a drysuit. I dress for the cold water, but I am not any more macho because I dive in 38-40 degrees. I am just prepared for it...
Thank you. I am currently shopping for a 7mm. I think Santa is going to put it in my stocking.
diverbrian:
... 2) When you see something deep that is worth diving to, that is when you dive deep. You don't dive deep "just because it is there". I have a dive buddy in Hollywood, FL that routinely stays shallow. She is probably a better diver than I am..
Wrecks are the only thing that would take me deep. I can't explain the feeling every time i dive a new wreck :07:
diverbrian:
... 3) Enjoy the rescue course, LOL.
Is that sarcasm? Aren't you supposed to tell me how rewarding it is??
diverbrian:
... 4) I am single with no children (unless you count two dogs and cat). Money for toys is available as long I am careful. LOL..
I am single with no kids and only one dog....But I love to buy new toys! So if a weekend of work is what takes for a new wetsuit then sign me up. One dry weekend is worth a lot of warm wet ones :wink:

My "victim" for my Stress and Rescue was a wiry instructor who used to be a competition swimmer. The man had tentacles instead of arms (or so I thought) when we did the panicked diver stuff. Believe it or not, that was fun.

Wrecks, eh? Come on up here and I will show you some wrecks! We have intact wooden schooners right to the Cedarville, which was a 588 ft. bulk carrier.

I agree about the dry and wet weekends. One surface interval in Munising (Michigan Upper Peninsula) was all that it took to convert me to dry and work a few more weekends, LOL. That's what winter up here is for. Work some weekends and be ready to dive by April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom