Raja Ampat - Is It Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mangrone
Thanks for the quick write up! It would be great to hear some more details on your trip, possibly a trip report?? You certaily are one lucky son of a gun!! We have taken the plunge and booked for RA in December and man alive are my expectations sky high!! And then reading stories like your pushes my expectations into the Stratosphere!! But I suppose even if I see half of what you saw I would be supa supa happy!
Bring on December and bring on 100ft viz and many Manta's!!! ha ha

Magrone - Sounds like a great trip ... I'm anxious to go back! Two questions ...

What boat were you on?

How was the weather and sea conditions?

I will work on a trip report with pics. I literally just got back to Guam this evening. The first post I wrote in the airport in Manila.

We were on the KM Bidadari with our excellent Indonesian dive guide and cruise director Dolphin Mcair. The sea conditions were perfect. The water was like glass much of the trip and the weather was fabulous. Sunny every day except one when it rained really hard while we dove Boo Windows. So the dive had 100 ft vis but was pretty dark. Dolphn was really surprised to see the vis this good. The only thing really missing from the trip was current, which was only really strong on two dives. Ironically these dives had less fish than most for some reason. I was amazed how many fish were on the reef when there was little to no current. Cape Kri stands out as the fishiest non current dive I have witnessed. My girlfriend and I were just hovering in Fish soup for an hour.

More on the boat etc. later.

Was in R4 for 1 week 2 years ago, 2 weeks last year, going for 3 weeks this year.

I don't get the whole 20% / 2x expensive analogy (not sure how to quantify a diving experience, anyways). I loved the Putiraja liveaboard I was on last year...trying to get on the boat again this summer but will be doing at least 2 weeks land-based at the new Raja4Divers resort on Pef Island (North R4).

If expense as an issue, check out Alor as well. World-class diving that not many people go to. Magic stuff - but do it land-based.

Hi All,

My friend and I are heading to Indonesia this summer for some good diving. We have been to Sipidan, Bunaken, Lembeh, and Komodo before and LOVED them all. The question is whether to go to Raja Ampat next.

We have looked into and and are very excited at the prospect but we arent sure if it is worth the huge additional expense when we could go further out in Komodo or try Ambon etc instead.

We arent put off at the expense of Raja Ampat, we just wonder if we could get diving which is as great else where?

I've made about 2000 dives in Raja Ampat since '99 on around 30 trips, both liveaboard and land-based . Have also dived much of the rest of Indonesia over the past 20 some years including Komodo, Ambon, N. Sulawesi, Bali, Alor, Banda Sea, Cenderawasih, etc. etc.

For me Raja Ampat is far better than the other areas and the only spot I look forward to diving anymore. I still look forward to each and every dive.. it pains me to miss even one! I organize trips for small groups and 40-50% of my trips are full of divers coming to Raja Ampat for repeat trips (some as many as 7-8 times in as many years).

Last year I took a group to Komodo and the comments from the divers were that they didn't realize how much better Raja Ampat is until they went back to Komodo after diving R4 (Raja Ampat).

The water is always warm, marine life is more dense and varied in R4. For many, its just a better trip.

The way to see R4 is by liveaboard so you get to visit multiple areas, not just one area surrounding a land-based operation.

HOWEVER... Raja Ampat is not for the summer (mid June - mid - Sep). That season is typically windy and raining. The diving doesn't really change, but you risk the possibility of horizontal rain and a lot of chop. Not a lot of fun. During that season I'd suggest Komodo/Maumere/Alor and Bali.

Deb Fugitt
City Seahorse / Raja Ampat Diving

In fact it is so good that we packed our bags and are now living here permanently. We are currently in the process of building a new resort on Pef island, and will open to the public in June 2011.
Don't let people tell you that a live-aboard is the only way to experience Raja Ampat! Remember, you only spend 3-4 hours a day underwater, the rest of the 24 hours are just as important....
You can visit the website at raja4divers.com

BBSharks--Well, welcome to SB! Hopefully down the road you'll be welcoming me to Pef! Website looks great, as does the resort. // ww

To the original poster and those who have dived both northern and southern parts of Raja, can you guys describe/summarize the regions? Felicia has two trips in November that I'm interested in; one is in the north and the other in the south.

To the original poster and those who have dived both northern and southern parts of Raja, can you guys describe/summarize the regions? Felicia has two trips in November that I'm interested in; one is in the north and the other in the south.

North: Fish, then coral

South: Coral, then fish

Back
Top Bottom