Raleigh/Durham Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poogweese

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All, can anyone tell me if there is any kind of shuttle either ground or air that goes from Raleigh/Durham Airport to Morehead City/Atlantic Beach? I'll be there for a 4 day dive trip over the 4th at Fisherman's Inn/DiverDown and I get there a day early! Thanks!

ground - prolly only greyhound. air - dunno, but the closest airport to look for is likely new bern, which is about an hour away, not including traffic. on a holiday weekend, i'd hate to even guess. easiest imho to rent a car and drive. pretty simple drive - get on 70e and stay until you get to morehead, 3 1/2 to 4-ish hours. i hope you have an awesome time! other thoughts? anybody? anybody?

I've never heard of one. Car rental is probably your best option.

You might appreciate having a car if the diving gets blown out on one or more days.

Enjoy the trip-
Rich

BabyDuck:
ground - prolly only greyhound. air - dunno, but the closest airport to look for is likely new bern, which is about an hour away, not including traffic. on a holiday weekend, i'd hate to even guess. easiest imho to rent a car and drive. pretty simple drive - get on 70e and stay until you get to morehead, 3 1/2 to 4-ish hours. i hope you have an awesome time! other thoughts? anybody? anybody?

It's a SOLID 3 hour drive.

The only option I have is a rental car as well. The beaches are going to be a zoo that weekend so good luck. You could do a hop into New Bern or Wilmington but you would still have an hour drive more or less, personally, I would much rather drive the extra couple of hours than deal with another plane and airport. Like BD said, it's a 3-4 hr run straight down hw 70 so unless you get into RDU at rush hour 7-9 am and/or 4-6pm it's not a bad drive....

Here are some directions that may help.
Take I-40 east (NOT 540) from the airport. Stay in the INSIDE 2 lanes until it converges back to 2 lanes. The highway will be I -40 and will pass around the south side of Raleigh (it's also called I-440 and/or the outer loop at this point so don't let those names confuse you). I-40 will spit off of I-440 just east of Raleigh so stay in the OUTSIDE 2 lanes as you pass the south side of Raleigh, the interstate is 5 or 6 lanes wide at that point. You will want to follow the signs to Wilmington until you come to US-70 which is about 5 miles after I-40 splits away from I-440. Take US-70 east to Morehead.

Just to reinforce what everybody else has said get a car! And yes take it from a local islander.... it is going to be a zoo. In fact I'm heading up to Raleigh so I don't have to deal with it! Anyway good luck with the diving and hopefully better luck with the driving.

Poogweese:
Hi All, can anyone tell me if there is any kind of shuttle either ground or air that goes from Raleigh/Durham Airport to Morehead City/Atlantic Beach? I'll be there for a 4 day dive trip over the 4th at Fisherman's Inn/DiverDown and I get there a day early! Thanks!

Have a great trip! I will agree with everyone else and say Atlantic Beach will be a zoo. I spend a lot of time at Atlantic Beach vacationing with the family. You didn't ask, but I'll give you a couple restaurants to try that I think are great. First is a grill located right at the main stoplight in Atlantic Beach. You will have the obnoxious Wings to your right, and the grill will be on your left. I can't remember the name but it will (like everything else) be slammed so get there early. They have a great breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. Very laid back, beach atmosphere. Also, ask for Alice. She is this older waittress that works there and she is a trip! For dinner, you can try Island Grille which is on Money Island Drive I think. You would turn left at the light and I think it is the third street on the right. It is the same street that Sportsmen Pier is located on. Go to the end of the street and it is on your left. A small place that looks like a dive from the outside but the food/service is great. Have fun!

Mel

Thanks for the info everyone, it looks like car rental is the way to go. Hope you all have a happy and safe 4th of July :wink:

Back
Top Bottom